PRESS RELEASE: Canon's Trio Of New Compact Photo Printers Provide Easy-To-Use, Quality Photo Printing Solutions At Affordable Prices
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., Aug. 24, 2006 – Canon focuses in on ease-of-use, style and image quality with its new line of 4 x 6 inch compact photo printers – the PIXMA mini260 inkjet photo printer and the SELPHY CP730 and SELPHY CP720 dye sublimation photo printers. Offering a range of solutions that meet virtually every picture-taker’s needs, Canon’s new compact photo printers let people print wedding photos while at the wedding or prom night fun at the prom. The PIXMA mini260, SELPHY CP730 and SELPHY CP720 photo printers will be available this fall for estimated selling prices of $199.991, $149.991 and $99.991 respectively.
“Whether people capture photos from a digital camera, camcorder, cell phone, or even a PDA, Canon’s new compact photo printers make it easy to quickly print beautiful photographs from nearly anywhere.” said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manager of the consumer imaging group at Canon U.S.A., Inc. “These printers provide consumers with portable digital imaging solutions that yield brilliant photographs.”
According to a recent Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) study of consumer buying habits, women influence about 88 percent of consumer electronics purchases. The study further revealed that women are motivated to purchase products that emphasize form factor. Based on this data, Canon optimized the new printers’ product design and ease-of-use, while maintaining interest to all potential customers through image quality and performance.
The PIXMA mini260 Photo Printer: Let Consumers Print Portably in Style
The inkjet based PIXMA mini260 Compact Photo Printer allows consumers to generate high quality photographs with or without a computer from almost any location. Using the optional rechargeable battery pack (LK-61 model, estimated selling price $79.99), people can print photos from compatible memory cards2 digital cameras or DV camcorders, Bluetooth devices3, or camera phones4, whether they are in the backyard, kitchen, or living room.
Canon‘s new PIXMA mini260 model is the world’s first compact photo printer to incorporate the Easy-Scroll Wheel interface. Canon designed this interface for rapid access to all printer functions. Consumers can utilize available printer options by simply rotating the wheel to the desired feature and pressing the “OK” button.
People can now keep their eyes on the screen while selecting and executing functions, giving them full control at their fingertips. Canon has also added the “HOME” and “NAVI” buttons to the device’s operational panel.
The NAVI button displays context-sensitive how-to explanations for often-used printer functions. For maximum simplicity, the HOME button instantly returns users to the main menu.
In addition to the Easy-Scroll Wheel interface, Canon has also included a large, high definition TFT LCD screen, which consumers can use to preview images before printing and photo editing. The screen is viewable at a 170-degree angle, so everyone around the unit can enjoy images displayed, rather than just the person sitting directly in front of the screen.
For beautiful and long lasting photos, the PIXMA mini260 printer uses Canon’s exclusive ChromaLife100 system. This system can produce prints on a wide range Canon photo papers that resist fading for up to 100 years when stored in an archival quality photo album5. The PIXMA mini260 model is also equipped with the latest generation of Canon’s FINE (Full Photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering) print head, which produces the highest resolution in its class at up to 9600 x 2400 dpi6, with color ink droplets as small as one picoliter for exceptionally smooth tonal gradation. Its Smart LED equipped 4-color ink tank easily snaps in, producing high-impact, high-intensity colors which are further enhanced with the addition of a true photo black. The PIXMA mini260 model prints out beautiful, borderless 4 x 6 inch color photos in approximately 59 seconds7 when using the built-in PictBridge connection.
Not only does the PIXMA mini260 model deliver exceptional photo quality and performance, but Canon has designed it to accept interchangeable color panels for fashion conscious consumers interested in personalizing their own compact photo printer. Out of the box, the PIXMA mini260 printer comes equipped with “Blue Steel” colored panels. This fall, consumers who purchase the mini260 compatible genuine CLI-36 ink and paper combo pack (estimated selling price of $29.991) will find that Canon has included pink “Berry Frost” panels inside the ink and paper packaging. Next spring, Canon will release new panel colors, so consumers should stay tuned.
SELPHY CP730 and SELPHY CP720 Compact Photo Printers
The SELPHY CP730 and CP720 compact photo printers are the latest examples of Canon’s commitment to offering a complete portable photo printing solution. These dye-sublimation models feature a popular design based on a compact, rectangular shape that maintains the user-friendly and distinctive SELPHY concept. The use of dye-sublimation technology means that prints made with the CP730 and CP720 models have true continuous tone photographic quality. At the same time, they are laminated with a clear overcoat that protects them from moisture and fingerprints, with 100-year longevity when stored in an archival photo album8.
Canon SELPHY CP730
In addition to being compact and lightweight, the SELPHY CP730 Compact Photo Printer features a 2.0-inch color LCD monitor and an exciting new trimming option, which makes it possible to trim or crop an image on the printer before printing. A handy Red-eye Correction function makes flash photos of people and pets look more natural, automatically. When printing from a memory card, the new My Colors feature allows the user the ability to print in Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, and Black & White.
Canon SELPHY CP720
Canon’s SELPHY CP720 Compact Photo Printer has a 1.5-inch Color LCD screen with the capability of switching from normal to full screen viewing. Automatic dynamic range correction and Adobe RGB support better image quality.
Both printers feature retractable USB cables for convenient connection to PictBridge-compliant digital cameras and camcorders, and card slots for nearly all memory card formats including SD, CF, miniSD, and Memory stick. Both printers also incorporate additional USB ports for connection to a PC, external USB cable or other compatible accessories. The SELPHY CP730 printer is also IrDA compatible. This allows users with IrDA compatible phones to send images to the printer for easy printout. The SELPHY CP730 model is also compatible with an optional rechargeable battery pack for true go-anywhere convenience.
Canon’s new SELPHY CP730 and CP720 Compact Photo Printers allow consumers to print out brilliant, high quality 4 x 6 inch borderless postcard prints in roughly 58 seconds9 at an approximate cost of 28 cents per print10. They are ideal for precious pictures from a baby’s first birthday party or other family events, with no need for the complexities of a computer or the inconvenience of a photo lab. In addition to postcard prints, the SELPHY CP730 and CP720 can also produce 4 x 8 inch panorama prints and credit card size prints or stickers, when equipped with optional paper trays and ink/paper sets.
Wireless Photo Printing
Canon’s three new compact photo printers – the PIXMA mini260, SELPHY CP730 and CP720 models – are compatible with Canon’s BU-20 Bluetooth Adapter. Available as an optional accessory, this petite adaptor allows consumers to print photos wirelessly from a variety of nearby Bluetooth enabled devices, like mobile phones and PDAs3. Please check www.cusa.canon.com for more information.
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The Company is listed as one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies in America, and is ranked #35 on the Business Week list of "Top 100 Brands.” Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent-holder of technology, ranking second overall in the U.S. in 2005. Canon Inc. achieved global revenues of $34.1 billion in 2005; $11.6 billion of which came from Canon Americas. For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
Specifications are subject to change with notice.
- Pricing and availability is subject to change at any time. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.
- Compatible memory cards include Compact Flash, Micro drive, Smart Media, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO , SD Card, and Multimedia card v.3.31. xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick Duo. Memory Stick PRO Duo, RS-MMC v.3..31 and minSD card requires an additional adaptor, which must be purchased separately.
- Bluetooth v1.2 with optional Canon Bluetooth Unit BU-20. Bluetooth operation depends on the devices and software version used. Operating distance is approximately 10 meters but may vary due to obstacles, radio signals, locations where radio interference occurs, magnetic fields from microwave ovens, device sensitivity and/or antenna performance.
- JPEG files 3MP or smaller only. Requires mobile phone IrDA port and support for IrMC version 1.1 protocol, with phone positioned no more than 7.9-inches from printer.
- Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints; results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage conditions and environmental factors. See www.consumer.usa.canon.com/ChromaLife100 for additional details.
- Resolution may vary based on printer driver settings. Ink droplets can be placed with a horizontal pitch of 1/9600 inch at minimum.
- 4 x 6 inch borderless photo print speed when printing a 6.0 megapixel image taken by select Canon digital camera using PictBridge and select Canon Photo Paper. Actual print speed will vary depending on a number of factors. See www.usa.canon.com/printspeed for additional information.
- Based on accelerated dark storage testing by Canon under controlled lighting, temperature and humidity conditions. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of the prints; results may vary depending on printed image, display/storage conditions and environmental factors.
- Directly from Canon PowerShot digital cameras equipped with DIGIC II Image Processors.
- Based on Color Ink/Paper Set KP-108IP and manufacturer’s suggested retail price as of 8/1/06.
(First posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 at 00:00 EDT)