Nikon(R) Unveils First Ever Macro Lens With Vibration Reduction For Close-Up Photography
New Nikkor Lens Offers Quiet Autofocusing and Enhanced VR for Close-Up Photography with Nikon digital and 35mm film SLR cameras
MELVILLE, N.Y., Feb. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Professional photographers and enthusiasts seeking the latest opportunity to enhance their extreme close-up and general photography possibilities can rely on Nikon's new 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor. Nikon Inc. (http://www.nikonusa.com) today introduced the world's first macro lens equipped with Nikon Vibration Reduction (VR) and Silent Wave Motor (SWM) systems. Engineered for use with Nikon digital and 35mm film SLR cameras, this lens offers a host of Nikon's advanced optical features and technologies including Nano Crystal Coat, Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass and Internal Focusing (IF) design.
"We are excited to offer the 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor as the newest addition to Nikon's range of high performance Nikkor lenses that deliver unmatched optical performance and advanced capabilities. Extreme close-up photography is one of the most demanding and popular forms of photography, and this new lens significantly extends the range of conditions under which professionals and enthusiasts can achieve outstanding results," said Edward Fasano, general manager for Marketing, SLR Systems Products, at Nikon Inc. "With enhanced VR II technology built into the lens, photographers can shoot hand-held at shutter speeds up to four stops slower than would otherwise be possible, and still get razor sharp pictures. Combined with the Silent Wave Motor technology and Internal Focusing system, the 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor provides handling characteristics that better enable superior close-up photography under a broad range low-light conditions. And like other high-performance Micro-Nikkor lenses, the new 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor is perfectly suited for general photography as well."
The 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor features Nikon's enhanced Vibration Reduction System (VR II) which substantially improves high-quality hand held close-up shooting. The VR II function minimizes the negative effects of camera shake by offering users the ability to take pictures at shutter speeds as many as 4 stops slower* than would otherwise be possible, without the image degrading blur associated with slow shutter speeds. Nikon's VR technology further enhances picture taking potential with a choice of two modes to match most shooting conditions. VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection, as well as automatic tripod detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle.
The addition of SWM delivers faster and quieter auto-focusing, along with quick switching between autofocus and manual operation. Near-silent focusing can also be attributed to the Internal Focus (IF) design which also provides a constant lens length and eliminates front lens rotation, making it an ideal lens for use with the new Nikon Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System. Together, the SMW, VR II and IF components provide the photographer sharp images at close range (macro shooting focus of 31cm) without disturbing the subject during focus.
The 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor optical formula is highlighted with Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat and Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass. These highly advanced optical technologies provide higher-quality resolution and high-contrast images by reducing chromatic aberrations and virtually eliminating reflections caused by multiple internal lens elements.
The AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens will be available beginning in March 2006 for an estimated selling price of approximately $799.00**. For more information about Nikon and the Nikkor brand of optics, please visit http://www.nikonusa.com.
105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor: Major Features
- The world's first macro lens equipped with SWM and VR systems
- VR II Vibration Reduction technology allows photographers to shoot hand-held at as many as 4 shutter speeds slower* (at near infinity to 1/3x shooting and approx. 1 step at near 1:1) than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper hand-held images.
- Incorporates Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for fast and quiet autofocusing, and quick switching between autofocus and manual operation.
- Engineered for use with Nikon digital and 35mm film SLR cameras.
- Offers a 105mm focal length (picture angle equivalent to 157.5mm with Nikon DX format).
- Design incorporates 14 elements in 12 groups (with 1 ED glass and 1 Nano Crystal Coat-deposited lens elements).
- ED glass and Nano Crystal Coat combine to minimize chromatic aberration, providing higher resolution and high-contrast images.
- Employs a nine-blade rounded diaphragm opening ensuring that out-of-focus elements appear more natural.
- Offers a Maximum reproduction ratio of 1:1.
- Enables focusing from as close as 31cm (12.2 in.) from the subject through its entire focal range.
- M/A mode for rapid switching between autofocus and manual focus operation.
- Internal Focusing (IF) design simplifies the use of circular polarizing filters.
- HB-38 Bayonet Lens Hood (included) greatly reduces stray light, enhancing image quality.
- Supplied with CL-1020 Flexible Lens Pouch
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image(TM). Nikon Inc. is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes the Nikon Total Imaging System of consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, Nikkor optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon Coolpix(R) compact digital cameras; Coolscan(R) digital film scanners; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon's Exclusive Feature System, making it easy for anyone to take amazing digital pictures. Through the Nikon Spirit Initiative(TM), the company, plays an active role in supporting aspiring and advanced photographers through a variety of philanthropic organizations, educational programs, events and workshops. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit http://www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities.
* Under Nikon measurement conditions.
** Estimated selling prices listed are only an estimate. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.