Canon releases firmware update for EOS-1D SLR (See important note though!)|
(Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:45 EDT)
New firmware improves several aspects of EOS-1D operation...
Canon has just released a firmware update (v1.4.0) for the EOS-1D that offers several improvements in camera operation. The following features are added or improved:
- Noise reduction tone curve settings added to the camera's monitor menu.
- Continuous shooting supported with Remote Capture v2.5 or higher.
- Exif 2.2 (Exif Print) is now supported.
- Windows XP is supported. (Camera will now direct connect via WIA 4.5)
- Camera settings metadata is modified. (This sounds like a bugfix.)
Here's Canon's own description of which features are upgraded. (Visit the Canon download page for more information and the download itself.)
- As we reported earlier, Windows users must install Windows driver v4.5.3 in order to be able to download their image files, if the camera is running firmware v1.4.0. (Get the v4.5.3 driver software here.)
- VERY IMPORTANT (and not reported elsewhere AFAIK): Windows users MUST have an IEEE 1394 (FireWire) connection on their computers to be able to complete the installation. If you don't have a firewire connection on your Windows host computer, DON'T install this firmware upgrade!
You can download the firmware from Canon's site here
|1.||Noise reduction tone curve setting is added to the EOS-1D's monitor menu. Noise reduction for horizontal banding which may be visible at high ISO speed settings is added to the EOS-1D's monitor menu. With this setting, you do not need to use the driver software to load a tone curve for noise reduction (as required with firmware version 1.3.0 or lower) and you do not need to apply exposure compensation or flash exposure compensation before shooting. Refer to the Noise Reduction Instruction Manual for more details about these settings. You can download a PDF version of Firmware Up date Instruction Manual and Noise Reduction Instruction Manual at the bottom of this web page.|
|2.||Continuous shooting is supported with Remote Capture 2.5 or higher. Only single frame shooting was possible with earlier versions of Remote Capture, but continuous shooting with the EOS-1D is now supported with Remote Capture 2.5 or higher, provided that the EOS-1D firmware is updated to Version 1.4.0 or higher. (Only single frame shooting is supported in Mac OS X even with Remote Capture 2.5.)|
|3.||Exif 2.2 (Exif Print) is supported. Exif 2.2 (Exif Print) is supported. Exif print enables more faithful color reproduction in printed output with compatible printers.|
|4.||Windows XP is supported. (Direct connect support via WIA 4.5)|
Install the WIA driver software, and Windows XP will be supported.
|5.||Camera settings metadata has been modified. Wrong descriptions of shutter speed and aperture settings are modified in the image file's metadata. If your TWAIN driver software is version 4.5.0 or lower, download the latest version 4.5.3 (Described as "4.5") using the links provided on this web page for your regional Canon sales company.|