|PENTAX Announces New Digital SLR Camera: Long Anticipated *ist D Offers Inter-Changeable Lenses|
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado (February 18, 2003)… Patience soon will pay off for digital SLR enthusiasts when PENTAX USA delivers the lens-interchangeable *ist D digital SLR camera. With the clarity of 6.1 effective megapixels, a pentaprism viewfinder, and a 1.8 inch LCD monitor, the *ist D will feature one of the world’s smallest, lightest camera bodies in the digital SLR category.
Along with the *ist D, PENTAX announces an exciting wide angle lens for 35mm AF SLR cameras, the smc PENTAX-FA J Zoom 18-35mm F4-5.6 AL.
These latest PENTAX digital advancements will be showcased under glass at the 2003 Photo Marketing Association’s (PMA) Show in Booth C140 from March 2-5 in Las Vegas. PMA hosts an annual trade show where manufacturers in the photography industry showcase their newest products
The *ist D will officially launch in July 2003.
PENTAX U.S.A., Inc. is an innovative leader in the production of digital and film cameras, binoculars, lenses, mobile printers, scanners and internet cameras. For more than 80 years, Pentax technology has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With corporate headquarters located in Englewood, Colorado, PENTAX U.S.A., INC. is a wholly owned subsidiary of PENTAX CORPORATION.
# # #
*ist D DIGITAL SLR FACT SHEET
6.1 effective megapixels
With a high-performance CCD measuring 23.5mm x 15.7mm and unique image processing technology, the *ist D achieves impressive 6.1 effective megapixel resolution for the recording of precise, superior quality images.
One of the world’s smallest, lightest camera bodies
The design of the *ist D combines compact dimensions with surprisingly light weight. Measuring 5 inches (129mm) x 3.7 inches (95mm) x 2.3 inches (60mm) and weighing just 18 ounces (510g) without batteries, the *ist D will be one of the smallest, lightest lens-interchangeable digital SLR cameras available.
A wide range of compatible PENTAX lenses for flexible shooting
A wide range of compatible PENTAX lenses are available for use with the *ist D, allowing the user to compose satisfying scenes regardless of the type of subject.*
*Compatible lenses: K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses; screw mount lenses, 645, and 67 series lenses (adapter required). Some functions may not activate depending on the choice of lens.
New pentaprism viewfinder
An optical pentaprism viewfinder developed especially for the *ist D makes viewing easy with an ample 95% field of view and 0.95X magnification. A superimposed display function assists composition by illuminating the AF points in red.
Other major *ist D features
- New 16-segment metering system achieves more accurate exposure
- New 11-point AF sensor (SAFOX VIII) realizes enhanced focusing
- Fast 1/4000 sec. shutter speed and high-speed flash sync at 1/150 sec.
- Continuous shooting at approx. 2.7 fps
- 2-dial system separates aperture and shutter speed settings
- With individual dials for shutter and aperture selection, Hyper program makes it easy to switch between Shutter-Priority AE and Aperture-Priority AE.
- Hyper manual let you achieve the proper exposure with simple button operation.
- Custom function allows functionality to be tuned to satisfy user preferences
- Noise reduction function activates for long exposures
- Compatible with MicroDrive™ and CompactFlash™ Type I/II
- Takes four AA batteries or two CR-V3 lithium-ion batteries
- PC-based camera control and easy data transmission with USB 1.1 compatibility
- 1.8 inch, 118,000-pixel LCD monitor for easy, high-precision viewing
- Convenient playback functions, such as nine image- and 12X magnification-display
- Choice of JPEG, TIFF and RAW recording formats
- Comes complete with software compatible with RAW format data
- Special battery grip (availability to coincide with *ist D)
New Interchangeable lenses
A new wide angle lens for 35mm AF SLR cameras, the smc PENTAX-FA J Zoom 18-35mm F4-5.6 AL, also will be displayed at PMA 2003 together with the *ist D. The lens is comprised of 12 elements in 10 groups and it has a focal length equivalent to 28-54mm in 35mm format when used with the *ist D.*
* Specifications and capabilities subject to change.
# # #