Kodak announces combined thermal photo printer / camera dock|
(Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:00 EST)
Eastman Kodak Co. has today announced a rather unusual accessory for certain of its digital cameras.
The Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock 6000 combines both a 4" x 6" thermal photo printer and a docking station for its EasyShare 600 / 6000 series digital cameras. The idea is likely to appeal to people new to digital photography, who want a convenient way to get prints from their camera with a minimum of fuss. With camera and printer being designed to operate with each other, users should be able to achieve good results without needing to get into the nitty-gritty of connecting cameras to PCs and understanding the imaging application that comes with their camera. Users without a computer can select images on their camera or a television connected to the dock; those who already have a PC can also connect the dock to it to offload images and select which to print.
The idea could potentially work rather well for Kodak - having sold a camera compatible with the dock, they'd have an increased likelihood of selling a printer to the same customer, and generating income from sales of printer supplies. All in all, an interesting concept, and one we'd not be too surprised to see other companies mimic if it proves to sell well...
The EasyShare Printer Dock 6000 will go on sale in May at a cost of just under $200. Print costs would run at 50 to 75 cents per print based on suggested media pricing. A press release officially announcing the EasyShare Printer Dock 6000 will be distributed on Sunday.
A fact-sheet courtesy of Kodak follows:
Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock 6000 - The Simplest Way to get 4" x 6" Kodak Prints From An EasyShare Digital Camera
The Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 is the world’s first printer-and-camera dock combination, enabling users to print borderless 4" x 6" photos directly from their EasyShare camera at the touch of a button with no computer required. It’s the convenient and quick solution for the ultimate in printing convenience and the immediacy of printing at home. Although it’s small enough to be portable for special occasions, the device can also be connected to a computer to offer the benefits of an EasyShare camera dock, including one-touch picture transfer to computer and battery recharging. Used in conjunction with Kodak EasyShare 6000/600 series cameras, the printer dock 6000 provides a simple and quick way to get durable, waterproof Kodak prints from an EasyShare digital camera in as little as 90 seconds.
Color Cartridge and Photo Paper kit
The printer dock 6000 thermal printer comes with a paper-and-ribbon system that provides continuous tone, vivid color and traditional film photography longevity and durability, thanks to the XtraLife laminate coating. The device prints Kodak 4"x 6" borderless prints, and the amount of ribbon exactly matches the amount of paper so users will never run out of ink supplies in the middle of a project. In addition, unlike most inkjet printers, the printer dock 6000 uses ink that dries instantly.
The printer dock 6000 will be available in May at a suggested retail price of $199. Combined refill paper and ink cartridge packs will have suggested retail prices of $14.99 for 20 prints, $24.99 for 40 prints, and $39.99 for 80 prints.
|Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 |
|Features || |
- Prints borderless, waterproof 4" x 6" pictures
- Uses continuous tone thermal-dye transfer with XtraLife coating for waterproof prints that last a lifetime
- 90 seconds/print (first print direct from camera takes 120 seconds)
- Four printing modes: current, pre-selected using the camera share button, all or index print
- One-touch picture transfer
- Charges in-camera battery in less than 3 hours
- One touch slideshow to TV from camera while docked
- Four ways to select which image to print: on camera, on printer dock, on TV, on computer
- Supports JPEG and EXIF v2.2
- Weight: 34 oz.
- Dimensions with tray: 7.8 x 6.2 x 16 in.
- $14.99 for Kodak color cartridge & photo paper kit that makes 20 pictures; $24.99 for 40 pictures; $39.99 for 80 pictures
- Works with Kodak EasyShare 6000/600 series cameras
|Package Contents || |
- Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000
- 10-count sample Kodak color cartridge and photo paper kit and color cartridge
- Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack for select Kodak EasyShare digital cameras
- 24V AC adapter
- Kodak printer driver software
- Cleaning tool
- Welcome kit
(Kodak, EasyShare and XtraLife are trademarks of Eastman Kodak Company).
Editor’s Note: For additional information about Kodak, visit our Web site at: http://www.kodak.com/go/easyshare.
Eastman Kodak Co.