|New Five-Megapixel PDR-5300 Is Toshiba's Most Advanced Digital Camera To Date|
-- Priced at $399, the PDR-5300 Packs Incredible Imaging Power Into a Stylish, Stainless Steel Casing --
NEW YORK, September 15, 2003 (Digital Focus) - Toshiba Imaging Systems, a Division of Toshiba American Information Systems, Inc., today announced an addition to its popular PDR line of digital still cameras - the PDR-5300. It is expected to ship later this month with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $399.
Toshiba's most advanced digital still camera to date, the PDR-5300 boasts high level features such as a 5.0 megapixel CCD image sensor, a powerful 3X optical zoom lens with a versatility-enhancing wide aperture range, state-of-the-art noise reduction technology, user-selectable shutter speeds (8 seconds to 1/1500 second), plus a full suite of optional manual controls, all working together to provide excellent photographic results in a variety of lighting conditions.
Because of the five-megapixel resolution (2560x1920), large, ultra-fine images can be printed in photo sizes up to 11.25 inches x 16.5 inches suitable for framing, business use and digital artistry.
"The PDR-5300 accommodates different types of users and levels of skill, from the discerning photographer requiring total manual control over shooting functions to the weekend digicam enthusiast who wants a high-performing, easy-to-use camera to capture special moments," said Doug Freck, Vice President/General Manager, Toshiba Imaging Systems. "At $399, the PDR-5300 expands the range of consumer camera choices by offering superior features for the price of an entry-level digital camera."
The PDR-5300 is one of the smallest 5.0 megapixel optical zoom equipped digital cameras on the market. The slim stainless-steel body (3.66" x 2.32" x 1.34", 6.3 ounces), retractable lens barrel, and elegant grip accents are coupled with an ergonomic control layout to make the PDR-5300 both stylish and functional.
The PDR-5300 is laden with advanced technological features ensuring the highest quality imaging. Some of these features include
For information, U.S. customers call 1-800-288-1354. Fax, 1-800-470-9390. Or visit www.dsc.toshiba.com. Go to www.shoptoshiba.com to purchase the PDR-5300 and other Toshiba items on-line.
- Resolution - For sharp, pure color pictures with natural skin tones, the PDR-5300 comes equipped with a 1/1.8 inch CCD sensor delivering 5.09 million active pixels. User-selectable resolution settings are 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1280x960 and 640x480 in universal JPEG file format. In addition, there are 320x240 and 160x120 settings for creating AVI movie clips with audio.
- Optics - The aspheric, all glass lens system has a combined 12X zoom (3X optical, 4X digital) to provide a wide image capture range (7.2mm to 21.6mm, equivalent to a 35mm to 105mm 35mm zoom lens). The multi-point autofocus system accurately locates and follows the subject to facilitate faster and easier focusing.
- Operation - Users select the degree of control exercised over the PDR-5300's functions, from full manual mode to full automatic mode. To satisfy the requirements of more sophisticated photographers, it allows control over exposure, shutter speed, white balance, focus, color, contrast and ISO sensitivity. These controls - combined with selectable metering modes (center, spot) and a 4-mode flash system - offer precise exposure in almost any shooting condition. Moreover, the forced and suppressed flash options enable customized flash photography. To free the beginner from having to evaluate different scene conditions, the PDR-5300 has a scene-select mode, such as sports, portrait or landscape, each with pre-set exposure levels for optimal shooting results.
- LCD/Viewfinder - The PDR-5300 features both an optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment and a 1.5-inch color TFT LCD screen for framing shots or playing them back as a single frame, slide show, or 9-picture thumbnail. The LCD screen features an on/off switch, so the user can conserve the rechargeable power supply.
- Compatibility - The PDR-5300 is compatible with USB-equipped PCs running Microsoft® Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP, as well as Apple Macintosh® computers running Mac OS® 9.0/9.1 or later, OSX 10.1.3 to 10.1.5, 10.2 and 10.3.
- Memory - The PDR-5300 ships with a 16 MB SecureDigital (SD) card - enough storage capacity for 6 to 181 images depending on the resolution setting. It is compatible with SD cards up to 512 MB.
- Accessories - The PDR-5300 comes with a 16MB SD card, USB (Ver 1.1) cable, video cable, CD-ROM with ACDSee Systems imaging software, an environmentally friendly Lithuim-ion rechargeable battery, AC Adapter and instruction manual.
ABOUT TOSHIBA IMAGING SYSTEMS
Toshiba Imaging Systems is a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. providing advanced imaging solutions to the consumer, industrial, medical and security markets. Products include digital still cameras, microminiature CCD cameras, monitors, timelapse VCRs, digital video recorders, and CCTV cameras.
ABOUT TOSHIBA AMERICA INFORMATION SYSTEMS
With headquarters in Irvine, Toshiba America Information Systems, (TAIS) is comprised of multiple divisions that provide computer, communications and imaging products and services.
Products include industry leading portable computers, PDAs, mobile computing accessories, servers, including communications and portable servers, storage subsystems, cable modems, digital business telephone systems, voice mail, digital cameras, security systems and projectors.
TAIS provides sales, marketing, services and manufacturing for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corp., which is a world leader in high-technology and integrated manufacturing of electrical and electronic components, products and systems.
Toshiba has global sales of more than $50 billion and more than 300 subsidiaries and affiliates worldwide.
©2003 Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of the Microsoft Corporation of the US. Mac OS is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. of the US. SD logo is a trademark. ACDSee is a trademark of ACD Systems Ltd. Other company or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies. Information in press releases, including without limitation product prices, specifications, and contact information, is current on date of the release, and is subject to change without notice. Reseller prices may vary.