|CASIO ANNOUNCES WORLD'S SMALLEST OPTICAL ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA|
World's First Ceramic Lens Debuts In Stylish and Elegant “EXILIM CARD” EX-S100 Featuring 3.2 MP CCD and 2.8X Optical Zoom
DOVER, NJ, August 25, 2004 – Casio, Inc ., in conjunction with its parent company, Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, announces the release of the world's smallest* digital camera with an optical zoom (2.8X) , the EXILIM CARD EX-S100 . The camera and its lens owe their exceptionally compact packaging to another world's first – the application of ceramic lens technology providing a great advance in optical quality with even greater strength than glass.
*As of August 25, 2004
“In 2002, Casio launched the first EXILIM digital camera, an ultra- thin business card-sized model with superior portability and highly responsive operation. Casio's highly-portable camera – which enabled photography for any occasion, anytime, anywhere – had a huge impact on the digital camera market overnight, helping the ultra-slim genre become a major segment of its own.” said John Clough, president of Casio, Inc. “ Since that first EXILIM, Casio has continued to create even thinner cameras with more rapid responsiveness and superior performance, creating an EXILIM lineup that has expanded to become a trend-setting force in the marketplace. The new EXILIM CARD EX-S100 is the latest breakthrough model in the line.”
The new EXILIM CARD EX-S100 was developed to be the flagship model of the series, and as such, embodies all the brand concepts. Key features of the EX-S100 include use of the world's first transparent ceramic lens in an ultra-slim 2.8X optical zoom lens unit, and Casio's proprietary EXILIM Engine, an ultra-compact image processing LSI module that enables the camera to achieve high-image quality, high-speed operation and low power consumption – all within an extremely slim and compact body package . As a result, the EX-S100 is the world's smallest optical zoom-equipped digital camera, with a volume of just 79 cc and very compact measurements of 3.46” x 2.24”. Moreover, it is only .66” thick, and just .56” at the thinnest point.
The EX-S100 features a stainless steel body, a hallmark of the EXILIM CARD series, which has been polished to a brilliant shine through a special process. It is created entirely of metal, right down to the screws, for a true feeling of high quality. The front of the camera features a stylish theme of circular patterns that highlight the shape of the lens, while the back of the unit features a more square look that matches the impressively large 2.0-inch LCD screen. In keeping with the distinctive form of the other models in the EXILIM CARD series , the lens area itself protrudes slightly from the body of the camera.
With a 3.2 Mega pixel CCD for superior high-resolution photo imaging, a unique quick-response design, and a Best Shot function that makes it easier to capture desired scenes , CASIO has again proven that it is the leader in ultra-compact camera s that offer astonishingly advanced performance.
MAIN FEATURES OF THE EX-S100
2.8X Optical Zoom
- 2. 8X optical zoom lens using the world's first transparent ceramics
- 3.2 Megapixel CCD
Only .66” ‘thin' – stylish body that's the size of a business card
- Ultra-thin zoom lens unit and cutting-edge technology packed into a body just .66” in thickness – only .56” at the thinnest point.
- Large 2.0-inch digital interface TFT LCD screen for easy viewing
- Stainless steel body common to all EXILIM CARD series cameras
- Ex Fine Blast Treatment surface processing for a brilliant and attractive body
- Simple and timelessly beautiful body shape
- Easy-to-use operation buttons based on a square design concept
- All-metal construction from body and lens down to the screws for a true feeling of high quality
Comprehensive design approach for rapid response
- The camera automatically switches to Auto Pan Focus when the shutter is pressed rapidly
- Rapid start-up allows pictures to be taken approximately 1.4 seconds* after the power is turned on
- Images are recorded approximately 0.01 seconds * after the shutter is released
- High-speed operation; images can be taken at approximately 1.2 second intervals, with image playback of approximately 0.1 seconds between photos when scrolling
- Direct On function for one-touch operation of picture taking or playback modes
* With the flash off
- Business Shot function compensates for photos taken at an angle and records them as if taken from straight ahead
- Best Shot function allows settings to be selected using sample scene images
- Auto Macro function enables automatic switching between Macro and AF modes
- Flash Assist function provides exposure compensation for areas not reached by the flash
- Icon Help function uses pop-ups to guide the user when switching settings
- Noise Reduction Processing makes night scenes more beautiful
- USB cradle also functions as a battery charger and photostand
Specifications are subject to change without notice.
EXILIM is a registered trademark of CASIO COMPUTER CO. LTD. Any other company or product names are registered trademarks or trademarks of those companies.
Casio, Inc., Dover, N.J., is the U.S. subsidiary of Casio Computer Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan. Casio, Inc., markets calculators, keyboards, digital cameras, mobile presentation devices, portable color TVs, timepieces (Wrist Technology), cash registers and other consumer electronic products. Casio, the unexpected extra – for more information visit our web site at www.casio.com.
* * *