Original Source Press Release:
HP announces 5mpix Photosmart M417|
(Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:46 EST)
Amongst HP's four new digital camera announcements at PMA is the 5.2 effective megapixel, 3x optical zoom Photosmart M417.
The camera features the same styling we've seen on several other recent HP models, with a prominent groove at the front which helps you grip the camera firmly, and offers both an optical viewfinder and 1.8" LCD display. Other features include SD / MMC card storage, 16MB of built-in memory, and power from two AA batteries. Connectivity options are USB, and HP's optional HP Photosmart M-series dock. The camera will ship this spring for $199.
|Hewlett Packard Photosmart M417 |
|Camera Type ||Compact |
|Manufacturer ||Hewlett Packard |
|Model Number ||M417 |
|Dimensions ||4.2 x 2.1 x 1.4" |
107.0 x 53.0 x 36.0mm
|Weight ||177.0 g |
|Planned Price ||$199.00 |
|Planned Availability ||Mar 2005 |
|Warranty ||1 years |
|Image Capture |
|Sensor Type ||1/2.5" CCD |
5.36 megapixels (total)
5.19 megapixels (effective)
|Aspect Ratio ||4:3 |
|Image Dimensions ||2576 x 1944 (5.0 megapixels) |
2048 x 1536 (3.1 megapixels)
640 x 480 (0.3 megapixels)
|Capture Speed ||Continuous: 2.0 frames per second for 3 frames |
|Image Preview / Review |
|Viewfinder ||Yes, Zooming optical viewfinder |
|LCD ||1.8", 130,338 pixels |
|Lens Type ||HP Precision Lens |
3x optical zoom
|Image Stabilization ||No |
|Focal Length ||6.0 - 18.0mm (actual) |
36 - 108mm (35mm equivalent)
|Aperture Range ||f2.8 to f4.9 (wide); f4.8 to f8.0 (telephoto) |
|Focusing Range ||Normal: 20" - infinity (50 cm - infinity) |
Macro: 4.1" - 33" (10 cm - 80 cm)
|ISO Sensitivity ||100, 200, 400 |
|Shutter Speed ||2 - 1/2000 second |
|Metering Modes ||Center-weighted |
|Exposure Compensation ||+/- 2.0EV in 1/2EV increments |
|Internal Flash ||Modes: Auto (default), On, Off, Red-eye, Night |
Range: W: 9.2ft/2.8m, 13.1ft/4.0m, 18.5ft/5.7m; T: 5.5ft/1.7m, 7.8ft/2.4m, 11.1ft/3.4m (ISO100/200/400)
|Scene Modes ||Action, Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Fast Shot |
|Digital Zoom ||7x |
|Self Timer ||Yes, 10 seconds |
|Time Lapse ||No |
|Recording Medium ||SD/MMC, Built-in |
|File Format ||JPEG (EXIF 2.2) |
|Video ||No |
|Computer ||USB 1.1 |
|Other ||Camera dock, DC in |
|Battery Type ||Alkaline or Lithium disposable, NiMH rechargeable |
|Battery Form Factor ||2 x AA |
|Product Bundle |
|Battery / Charger ||2 x AA Lithium disposable battery |
|Flash Memory ||16.0MB built-in memory |
|PictBridge Compliant ||Yes |
|Internal Microphone ||Yes |
|Tripod Mount ||Yes |
|Remote Control ||No |
|Operating System Compatibility ||Windows, MacOS |
|More Photos |
Powered by Coranto
|HP Photosmart M417 Digital Camera with HP Instant Share|
With its intuitive button layout and convenient ergonomic grip, the easy-to-use, five-megapixel, 3x optical zoom HP Photosmart M417 Digital Camera with HP Instant Share makes it simple for the first-time digital photographer to capture exceptional photos. The HP Photosmart M417 features exclusive HP Real Life technologies, including adaptive lighting to automatically bring out details normally lost in shadows, and in-camera red-eye removal to remove red-eye directly on the camera. Additionally, the 1.8-inch, high-resolution image LCD screen displays images for viewing right after the photo is taken – even in bright light.
Key features and Benefits
- 5.2-megapixel resolution for photo-quality enlargements up to poster size.
- 1.8-inch, outdoor viewable image LCD.
- Fast shot mode that captures quick shots with minimal shutter lag for crisp photos.
- Exclusive HP Real Life technologies, developed in HP Labs, help take the guesswork out of digital photography and make it easy to produce great photos that are crisp, realistic and true-to-life. HP Real Life technologies include:
- Adaptive lighting technology to adjust high-contrast photos to bring faces out of shadows and details out of backgrounds.
- In-camera red-eye removal to remove red-eye while images are still in the camera.
- HP Instant Share makes sharing, printing and saving digital photos easy. Users simply take a photo and select its destination right on the back of the camera – up to 34 destinations, including e-mail addresses, online albums, printers and more – by simply pushing a button.
- When the digital camera is later connected to a computer or the optional camera dock,(1) the selected photos are automatically printed and/or e-mailed without burdening the recipient with large file attachments.
- E-mail recipients see thumbnails of the images right in the body of their e-mail message, as well as a link to the web page where they can very easily view, print and save the photos, upload them to online albums and more.
- Simple, intuitive button layout and an easy-to-use design with a convenient ergonomic grip.
- Burst mode enables users to take a series of photos or shoot video.
- Optional HP Photosmart M-series dock(1) sends photos to a computer, recharges batteries and allows users to view photos on a TV, when connected to camera.
- HP Image Zone software is a complete, easy-to-use software solution for editing, organizing, printing and sharing digital photos.
Other Technical Specifications
- 21x total zoom – 3x optical, 7x digital
- 16 MB internal storage memory
- 4.2" x 2.1" x 2.0" (109mm x 52mm x 55mm) – lens fully extended
- 149 grams without batteries
- SD/MMC card slot
- Direct-printing capability to HP USB-enabled Photosmart or Deskjet printers
- Two AA photo lithium batteries included
- PictBridge support
- Exif 2.2 support
- USB connectivity (USB 2.0 compatible)
- USB-compatible PC with Microsoft Windows® 98, 98SE, Me, XP or 2000, Intel® Pentium® III, Celeron® or compatible CPU, Internet Explorer 5.01SP2 or later
- USB-compatible Macintosh computer with Mac OS X 10.1.5, OS X 10.2.x or later, OS X 10.3.x
- HP offers a comprehensive support package for the HP Photosmart M417 Digital Camera that includes one-year of phone support as well as real-time chat and email support beyond the warranty as part of its HP Total Care portfolio of services.
Pricing and Availability
Estimated U.S. street price of $199(2)
Expected to be available for purchase spring 2005 in North America.
(1) Not included; please purchase separately.
(2) Actual price may vary.
Microsoft, Windows and Windows NT are U.S. registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Intel, Pentium and Celeron are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.