Original Source Press Release:
HP: 6.2mpix PhotoSmart R717|
(Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:48 EST)
Wrapping up HP's new digital camera announcements for PMA is the 6.2 effective megapixel, 3x optical zoom Photosmart R717.
The camera features the by-now familiar HP styling cues, plus a raft of HP's technologies, such as red-eye removal, adaptive lighting and in-camera panorama preview. The camera offers both an optical viewfinder and 1.8" LCD display, as well as SD / MMC card storage, 32MB of built-in memory, and power from a proprietary Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. Connectivity options are USB, and HP's optional HP Photosmart R-series dock. The camera will ship this spring for $299.
|Hewlett Packard Photosmart R717 |
|Camera Type ||Compact |
|Manufacturer ||Hewlett Packard |
|Model Number ||R717 |
|Dimensions ||3.8 x 2.4 x 1.4" |
96.0 x 60.0 x 35.0mm
|Weight ||204.0 g |
|Planned Price ||$299.00 |
|Planned Availability ||Mar 2005 |
|Warranty ||1 years |
|Image Capture |
|Sensor Type ||1/1.8" CCD |
6.37 megapixels (total)
6.20 megapixels (effective)
|Aspect Ratio ||4:3 |
|Image Dimensions ||2934 x 2170 (6.4 megapixels) |
2864 x 2120 (6.1 megapixels)
|Capture Speed ||Continuous: 3.0 frames per second for 3 frames |
|Image Preview / Review |
|Viewfinder ||Yes, Optical |
|LCD ||1.8", 130,572 pixels |
|Lens Type ||HP Precision Lens |
3x optical zoom
|Image Stabilization ||No |
|Focal Length ||8.0 - 24.0mm (actual) |
39 - 117mm (35mm equivalent)
|Aperture Range ||f2.8 to f4.8 (wide); f4.9 to f8.4 (telephoto) |
|Focusing Range ||Normal: 20" - infinity (50 cm - infinity) |
Macro: 5.7" - 41" (14 cm - 100 cm)
|ISO Sensitivity ||50, 100, 200, 400 |
|Shutter Speed ||16 - 1/2000 second |
|Metering Modes ||Center-weighted, spot, average |
|Exposure Compensation ||+/- 3.0EV in 1/3EV increments |
|Internal Flash ||Modes: Auto (default), Auto with red-eye, Flash on without red-eye, Flash off, Night with red-eye |
Range: US: 16.4 ft / 5 m (wide), 9.2 ft / 2.8 m (telephoto) at auto ISO
|Scene Modes ||Action, Landscape, Portrait, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Aperture priority, Panorama, Document, Museum, My mode |
|Digital Zoom ||8x |
|Self Timer ||Yes, 10 seconds |
|Time Lapse ||No |
|Movie Format ||MPEG-1 with audio |
Max. frame-rate: 30 frames per second
|Recording Medium ||SD/MMC, Built-in |
|File Format ||JPEG (EXIF 2.2) |
|Video ||No |
|Computer ||USB 1.1 |
|Other ||Camera dock, DC in |
|Battery Type ||Lithium Ion rechargeable / Lithium disposable |
|Battery Form Factor ||Proprietary / Duracell CP1 |
|Product Bundle |
|Flash Memory ||32.0MB built-in memory |
|PictBridge Compliant ||Yes |
|Internal Microphone ||Yes |
|Tripod Mount ||Yes |
|Remote Control ||No |
|Operating System Compatibility ||Windows, MacOS |
|More Photos |
Powered by Coranto
|HP Photosmart R717 Digital Camera with HP Instant Share|
The stylish, 6.2-megapixel HP Photosmart R717 Digital Camera with HP Instant Share is HP's top consumer camera that produces true-to-life digital photos. It features exclusive HP Real Life technologies, including adaptive lighting technology, in-camera red-eye removal and HP Image Advice, and has 12 shooting modes, including a customizable mode, so users are able to capture optimal images in a variety of conditions. Small enough to fit in a pocket, this camera’s durable, stainless steel construction and unique, ergonomic grip helps keep the camera steady for quick, one-handed shots.
Key Features and Benefits
- 6.2-megapixel resolution for photo-quality enlargements up to poster size.
- 1.8-inch color, outdoor viewable LCD.
- 12 shooting modes.
- Multi-zone auto focus provides sharp, clear photos by searching for focus in several areas of an image to capture the best shot.
- Robust manual controls enable creative touches in addition to customization of settings to save as a unique mode.
- Exclusive HP Real Life technologies, developed in HP Labs, help take the guesswork out of digital photography and make it easy to produce great photos that are crisp, realistic and true-to-life. HP Real Life technologies include:
- Adaptive lighting technology to adjust high-contrast photos to bring faces out of shadows and details out of backgrounds.
- In-camera red-eye removal to remove red-eye while images are still in the camera.
- In-camera panorama preview to allow the user to align, capture and review a panorama image on the camera before downloading to a computer.
- HP Image Advice for tips on how to improve a specific photo the next time it is taken.
- HP Instant Share makes sharing, printing and saving digital photos easy. Users simply take a photo and select its destination right on the back of the camera – up to 34 destinations, including e-mail addresses, online albums, printers and more.
- When the digital camera is later connected to a computer or the optional camera dock,(1) the selected photos are automatically printed and/or e-mailed without burdening the recipient with large file attachments.
- E-mail recipients see thumbnails of the images right in the body of their e-mail message, as well as a link to the web page where they can very easily view, print and save the photos, upload them to online albums and more.
- HP Image Zone software is a complete, easy-to-use software solution for editing, organizing, printing and sharing digital photos.
- Video clip capture with audio records memories in sound and motion.
- Burst mode enables users to take a series of photos or shoot video.
- Optional HP Photosmart R-series dock(1) sends photos to a computer, allows users to view photos on a TV and recharges the in-camera battery, in addition to a spare battery via the second charging bay, when connected to camera.
Other Technical Specifications
- 24x total zoom – HP Precision 3x optical lens, 8x digital
- 32 MB internal storage memory for storing photos
- 97mm (W) x 34mm (D) x 59mm (H)
- 180 grams without battery/204 grams with battery
- SD/MMC card slot for storing additional photos
- Direct-printing capability to HP USB-enabled Photosmart or Deskjet printers or to any PictBridge Computer
- HP Photosmart R07 rechargeable lithium ion battery with in-camera recharging included
- PictBridge support
- Exif 2.2 support
- USB connectivity (USB 2.0 compatible)
- USB-compatible PC with Microsoft Windows® 98, 98SE, Me, XP or 2000, Intel® Pentium® III, Celeron® or compatible CPU, Internet Explorer 5.01SP2 or later
- USB-compatible Macintosh computer with Mac OS X 10.2 or higher
- HP offers a comprehensive support package for the HP Photosmart R717 Digital Camera that includes one-year of phone support as well as real-time chat and email support beyond the warranty as part of its HP Total Care portfolio of services.
Pricing and Availability
Estimated U.S. street price of $299(2)
Expected to be available for purchase spring 2005 in North America.
(1) Not included; please purchase separately.
(2) Actual price may vary.
Microsoft, Windows and Windows NT are U.S. registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Intel, Pentium and Celeron are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.