Nikon: New firmware, software updates|
(Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 08:26 EDT)
Nikon USA has over the last few days released new firmware for its D2X, D2Hs and D200 digital SLRs, along with corresponding updates for the Nikon Capture and Camera Control Pro applications.
Available from Nikon USA's websites, the new Nikon D200 Firmware update 2.0.0 is avaialble for both Windows and Macintosh platforms, and includes two main changes:
For the Nikon D2X and D2Hs cameras, Firmware update 2.0.0 is likewise available on both Mac and Windows platforms, with a lengthy list of additions:
- Image authentication item has been added to the setup menu. The optional Image Authentication software is required to authenticate images.
- A Wireless transmitter item has been added to the setup menu. This item is available only when the optional Wireless Transmitter WT-3 is connected to the camera.
Meanwhile, an updated version of Nikon Capture, v4.4.2, has the following changes:
- H 0.3 (ISO 1000 equivalent), H 0.5 (ISO 1100 equivalent), and H 0.7 (ISO 1250 equivalent) options has been added between the ISO 800 and HI-1 sensitivity settings (D2X only).
- Autofocus subject acquisition and tracking capability has been improved.
- A "Black-and-white (sRGB)" option has been added to the "Color mode" settings in the shooting menu (D2X only).
- An "Image authentication" item has been added to the setup menu. However, the optional Image Authentication Software is required to verify image authenticity.
- A "Trim" item has been added to the shooting menu (D2X only).
- The "Custom" option in the shooting menu's "Tone compensation" item has been modified so that up to 3 user-defined curves can be downloaded to the camera.
- A "Save/load settings" item has been added to the setup menu.
- The "Mirror lock-up" item in the setup menu has been modified so that the mirror can be locked in the up position under battery power as well as AC adapter power.
- The number of options available for the "Lock-on" item in the Custom Settings menu has been increased to 4: "Long", "Normal", "Short", and "Off".
- "Max. sensitivity" and "Min. shutter speed" options have been added to the "ISO auto" item in the Custom Settings menu.
- The "Maximum shots (Max No. of shots taken in continuous shooting)" item in the Custom Settings menu has been modified to allow a maximum setting of 60 shots.
- The "FUNC. button" in the Custom Settings menu has been divided into two items: "FUNC. button press" and "FUNC. button + command dials" (D2X only).
- A "Recent settings" item has been added to the setup menu.
And finally, Nikon has also issued an update for Camera Control Pro to v1.1.1, with the following changes:
- Nikon Capture
- Supports D2Hs and D2X NEF/RAW files after 2.0.0 firmware has been applied.
- Improvements have been made with the following processes: Image Dust OFF, Advanced RAW palette, Batch process, D-Lighting, LCH Editor, Save Progress and functionality, White Balance Palette, PictureProject Transfer Options, Fisheye-to-rectilinear conversion feature.
- Nikon Capture Camera Control
- Supports new Custom Setting options applied with D2Hs and D2X firmware 2.0.0
- Images captured with the image-authentication feature enabled, the following settings are disabled when images are saved: Embed ICC Profile, Attach IPTC Information, Automatic rotation of images capture in tall (portrait) orientation. When TIFF images are transferred to a computer with Camera Control Pro, the image-authentication feature will be disabled.
- Use for Camera Curve Sample has been improved
- Embed ICC Profile in Download Options dialog has been improved.
- When shooting in manual mode with the D200 shutter speed and aperture changes are reflected in Nikon Capture Camera Control window (Windows only).
As with the firmware, these software updates are all available on both Mac and Windows platforms. The updaters, plus full instructions on their use, can be found on Nikon's support website.
- Support for the D80 has been added (this version comes bundled with the D80).
- Support for firmware Ver. 2.00 for the D2HS and D2X has been added.