Original Source Press Release:
Fujifilm announces FinePix Z100fd|
(Friday, January 4, 2008 - 09:30 EST)
In the runup to the start of the Consumer Electronics Show, Fujifilm USA Inc. has today announced a new digital camera for its stylish, pocket-friendly FinePix Z-series.
Announced elsewhere in the world last July, the Fujifilm FinePix Z100fd is almost identical in size to the previous Z5fd model - and a few grams lighter - but still manages to pack in quite an impressive list of new features. Perhaps most significantly, the 36 - 108mm equivalent 3x optical zoom of the previous model gives way to a much more useful 36 - 180mm equivalent 5x optical zoom. Despite the size limitations and the extra 2x zoom on the telephoto end, the new lens is still almost as bright at wide angle. to help cope with the extra zoom range, the Fujifilm Z100fd now has sensor shift image stabilization, as well. The body of the Z100fd has been redesigned as well, with a keen eye for fashion detailing that extends to an unusual diagonally sliding lens cover and an illuminated "Z" logo on the front face of the camera.
Sensor resolution gets a slight bump from 6.3 to 8.0 effective megapixels. Where the previous model relied on one of Fujifilm's Super CCD imagers, the Fuji Z100fd features a standard CCD image sensor - a choice that may disappoint some potential buyers, given the renowned low-light performance of Fuji's Super CCD sensors. The Z100fd includes a 2.7" LCD display with a higher-than-average 230,000 dot resolution - just slightly larger than the 2.5" display of the previous camera, a welcome change given that it is the sole method of framing or reviewing images. As with other models in the Z-series, the Z100fd forgoes any form of optical viewfinder.
The Fuji FinePix Z100fd now has a dual media (SD / SDHC or xD-Picture Card compatible) flash memory slot, and built-in memory is just slightly more than doubled at 54MB. The minimum ISO sensitivity in the Fuji Z100fd is ISO 64, where the previous Z5fd had a minimum of ISO 100 equivalent. Power now comes from an NP-45 Lithium Ion battery rather than the NP-40 type used in the Z5fd. One final change of note is the inclusion of two new scene modes - the self-explanatory "Auction" and "Underwater" the latter presumably suggesting that Fujifilm will also offer an underwater housing for the Z100fd.
Fujifilm's FinePix Z100fd will go on sale this month, priced at US$250 or thereabouts. Four two-tone color schemes will be available in the US market - 'Shell Pink', 'Satin Silver', 'Cappuccino Brown' and 'Tuxedo Black'.
|Fujifilm FinePix Z100fd|
|Dimensions||3.6 x 2.2 x 0.8"|
92.0 x 55.7 x 19.8mm
|Planned Availability|| 2008|
|Sensor Type||1/2.5" CCD|
8.00 megapixels (effective)
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 3:2|
|Image Dimensions||3264 x 2448 (8.0 megapixels)|
3264 x 2176 (7.1 megapixels)
2304 x 1728 (4.0 megapixels)
1600 x 1200 (1.9 megapixels)
640 x 480 (0.3 megapixels)
|Capture Speed||Continuous: 1.4 frames per second for 3 frames|
|Image Preview / Review|
|LCD||2.7", 230,000 pixels|
1% field of view
|Lens Type||Fujinon Zoom|
5x optical zoom
|Focal Length||5.9 - 29.0mm (actual)|
36 - 180mm (35mm equivalent)
|Aperture Range||F3.8 - 6.4 (wide) / F4.8 - 8.0 (tele) - ???|
|Focusing Range||Normal: 24" - infinity (60 cm - infinity)|
Macro: 3.7" - 33" (9 cm - 80 cm)
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600|
|Shutter Speed||4 - 1/1000 second|
|Metering Modes||256-zone multi|
|White Balance||Image Sensor - Auto, Fine, Shade, Daylight fluorescent, Warm white fluorescent, Cool white fluorescent, Incandescent|
|Internal Flash||Modes: Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Fo rced Flash, Red-eye Reduction Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Slow Synchro, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Synchro|
Range: 2.3 ft. - 11.8 ft. (Wide), 2.3 ft. - 9.5 ft. (Tele), 1.0 ft. - 2.6 ft. (Macro)
|Scene Modes||Natural Light, Natural Light with Flash, Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night, Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Underwater, Museum, Party, Flower, Text, Auction|
|Self Timer||Yes, 2 or 10 seconds|
|Movie Format||AVI (MotionJPEG) with audio|
|Recording Medium||SD/MMC, xD Picture Card, Built-in|
|File System||Complies with Design Rule for Camera File System (DCF)|
|File Format||JPEG (EXIF v2.2)|
|Video||Yes, NTSC / PAL switchable|
|Other||IrSimple / IrSS infrared, DC In|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion rechargeable|
|Battery Form Factor||Proprietary NP-45|
|Battery / Charger||1 x proprietary NP=45 Lithium Ion rechargeable battery and charger|
|Flash Memory||54.0MB built-in memory|
|Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compliant||Yes|
|Form Meets Function In The Ultra-Slim Fujifilm FinePix Z100fd|
Super-Compact 5x Zoom Digital Camera Combines Cutting Edge Technology With High-Fashion Design
Valhalla, NY, January 4, 2008 – FUJIFILM U.S.A, Inc. today announced the launch of the latest in its ultra-compact, trendsetting Z-series – the FinePix Z100fd. Continuing on from where the popular FinePix Z5fd left off, the FinePix Z100fd comes in four stunning color combinations and is sure to be a hit with those who care as much about their own image as they do about the images they shoot.
Despite being only 19.8mm thick, the 8-MegaPixel FinePix Z100fd is packed with state-of-the-art technologies and features. These include a mid-range Fujinon 5x optical zoom lens, the equivalent of a 36mm-180mm camera, a high-resolution 2.7”, 230k pixel LCD with a reinforced glass coating for scratch-free durability and sensitivity settings of up to ISO 1600 that allow natural images that retain the atmosphere of evening events taken without the use of a flash. The FinePix Z100fd is also the first Z-series model to feature Fujifilm’s Dual Image Stabilization, which marries a mechanically stabilized CCD with high ISO sensitivities for total anti-blur protection.
The FinePix Z100fd features Fujifilm’s innovative Face Detection Technology, a one-touch selectable mode that identifies up to 10 human faces in a scene. Face Detection Technology sets the correct focus for a chosen primary face and exposure for all detected faces automatically, regardless of where subjects are located within the frame. It can cope with back-lit scenes and it also comes in handy for capturing the perfect self portrait.
The FinePix Z100fd also includes a new Automatic Red Eye Removal feature that works in conjunction with Face Detection. Red eye is a common complaint given by 60% of digital camera users. The FinePix Z100fd instantly checks each detected face for red eye, and if it’s found, corrects it automatically, saving the time consuming process of fixing it in your PC after the image is downloaded.
Cutting Edge Design
Designed for the most style-conscious user, the FinePix Z100fd sports a totally redesigned metal body that is guaranteed to turn heads wherever you take it. From its unique ‘diagonal slide’ lens cover and illuminated ‘Z’ logo, to its eye-catching color combinations, the FinePix Z100fd sets a new standard in sophistication. Available in four two-toned color schemes, ‘Shell Pink’, ‘Satin Silver’, ‘Cappuccino Brown’ and ‘Tuxedo Black’ (a striking black special edition with a contrasting white sliding cover panel), the FinePix Z100fd is sure to stand out in a crowd.
Other noteworthy features found on the FinePix Z100fd include:
- Blog Mode: The Blog Mode automatically resizes any image captured to a properly sized 640x480 (QVGA) or 320 x 240 image size, right in the camera, saving time from downloading it and adjusting it on a PC.
- Photo Folder Management: This useful new feature organizes photos right in the camera, with 6 pre-set file folders that can be easily downloaded to the computer for convenient image management. Pre-set folders include: Travel, Family, Favorites, My Pictures, Events, and a password-protected Private folder.
- i-Flash Intelligent Flash: i-Flash detects subtle lighting differences within a scene, and then varies the flash intensity accordingly. It also leverages the high sensitivity of the FinePix Z100fd to enable the camera to use less flash, preventing that “blasted with light” effect that so many digital camera flashes leave you with. The result is pleasing, natural tones with no flash “wash-out”.
- Dual Shot Mode: In this mode the FinePix Z100fd quickly shoots two images in succession -- one with and one without the flash -- saving both. This convenient function lets the user perform an on-the-spot picture comparison and decide whether the FinePix Z100fd produced the most pleasing photo with flash, or without.
- Special Scene Modes: The FinePix Z100fd has 16 scene positions including ‘Fireworks,’ ‘Beach,’ ‘Party,’ and ‘Under Water’ offering a one-touch setting for almost any situation.
- Auction Mode: The new Auction mode makes it easy to create merged image formats suitable for online auction site use.
- Movie Mode: Capture VGA quality movie clips at 30 frames per second with sound. Great for when you’re out and you don’t have your video camera on-hand.
- Rotary Dial Menu: The Rotary Dial provides easy control and selection of the convenient functions, and let’s the operator swiftly scroll and select anything from scene positions to thumbnails.
- Micro Thumbnail: A playback feature that allows for viewing an index print-style image on the LCD. The FinePix Z100fd will show up to 100 images in micro form. Control buttons are used to move over specific images and select them. This makes it easy to quickly find a single image by being able to jump to particular segments of images in the time sequence.
- IrSimple™: Infrared communication via IrSimple™ technology for fast, easy wireless image transfer to a compatible device.
- xD / SD / SDHC Compatible slot: A single media slot that accepts both xD Picture Card and SD/SDHC media cards.
“The FinePix Z100fd is the perfect digital camera for anyone seeking a combination of high style and cutting-edge features,” said David Troy, senior product manager, Consumer Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc. “We believe that consumers looking for a super-slim digital camera shouldn’t have to make compromises on image quality or features.”
The FinePix Z100fd will debut in January 2008 at a retail price of $249.95.
About FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc.
FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc. is a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, providing digital and analog photographic Imaging Systems, Recording/Storage Media and Motion Picture Film products and services to consumers, professionals and businesses. For more information on Fujifilm U.S.A. products, customers can call 800-800-FUJI or visit www.fujifilmusa.com . To receive news and information direct from Fujifilm U.S.A. via RSS, subscribe free at www.fujifilmusa.com/rss .
Fujifilm Corporation (NASDAQ:FUJI) brings continuous innovation and leading-edge products to a broad spectrum of imaging industries including medical, life sciences, consumer electronic, chemical, graphic arts, information systems, photography and office products based on its vast portfolio of digital, optical, fine chemical and thin film coating technologies. It was ranked number 15 for U.S. patents granted in 2006, employs more than 75,000 people worldwide and in the year ended March 31, 2007, had global revenues of $23.6 billion. For more information, please visit www.fujifilmholdings.com.
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.