Nikon Updates D3 Firmware (UPDATED)|
Mike Pasini, The Imaging Resource
(Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:25 EDT)
Nikon has released an update to the firmware for its D3 flagship dSLR. The release updates both the A and B firmware with two binary files.
Modifications Enabled with upgrade of A and B firmware from ver. 1.00 to ver.1.10:
• A Vignette Control item has been added to the Shooting Menu. For information regarding supported lenses, see the supplemental manual.
• A Focus Point Brightness item has been added to the a6: Focus point illumination setting in the Autofocus category of Custom Settings.
• The Highlights playback display option has been moved from Display mode > Basic photo info > Highlights in the playback menu to Display mode > Detailed photo info > Highlights.
• When shutter speed and/or aperture are locked with shooting in live view mode, using the "L" (command lock) button, an "L" icon is now displayed in the camera monitor.
• The size and color of Demo displayed in the monitor with playback, when No memory card? in the Custom Settings is set to Enable release, have been modified.
• The range of settings available for ISO sensitivity settings > ISO sensitivity auto control > Minimum shutter speed in the shooting menu has been increased from 1/250 to one second to 1/4000 to one second.
• When a compatible Speedlight or Wireless Speedlight Commander is used, the AF assist illuminator now lights regardless of the focal length.
• When shooting in hand-held live view mode and the frame is magnified prior to autofocusing, operation has been modified so that display returns to the magnified display rather than full-frame display.
• In some rare cases, the image area visible through the viewfinder and the image area actually recorded differed when Image area > Choose image area in the shooting menu was set to DX format (24x16). This issue has been resolved.
• In some rare cases, white balance was not accurately calculated for images captured at a shutter speed of around 1/4 s in P and A exposure modes. This issue has been resolved.
• When attempting to crop images at an aspect ratio of 4:3 using the Trim option in the retouch menu, the cropped image did not have an accurate 4:3 aspect ratio. This issue has been resolved.
The update is available from the following links:
• D3 v1.1.0 firmware for Mac
• D3 v1.1.0 firmware for Windows
2008-04-17 We've confirmed an issue with the D3 firmware update that was first reported by Rob Galbraith. Shooting in Continuous High Speed release mode, filling the buffer and continuing to shoot can result in one or another frame with horizontal banding as if data was not read off the sensor correctly. We were able to duplicate the problem here on our first try.