Nikon Updates Transfer and ViewNX|
Mike Pasini, The Imaging Resource
(Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:17 EDT)
Nikon has released updates to its free Transfer and ViewNX programs, both of which now sport version 1.1.0 numbers. Details of the updates follow:
Changes to Transfer include:
• Support for Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard) has been added to the Mac version. Support for Service Pack 1 versions of 32-bit Windows Vista Home/Basic/Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate has been added.
• Hyphens or underscores can now be included between the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second when folders are created with names including the date, or when file names are changed, with the "Create subfolder for each transfer" or "Rename photos during transfer" options checked in the Primary Destination Options panel.
• When images were transferred with the "Rename photos during transfer" option in the "Primary Destination Options" panel checked and "Sequential number" applied in the naming rule, sequential numbering was not consistant with shooting date. This issue has been resolved.
• When all thumbnails in the thumbnail list are selected, images can now be deleted from the transfer queue one at a time by holding down the CTRL key and clicking individual images.
Version 1.1.0 can be downloaded from the following links:
• 20.5MB Macintosh version of Transfer
• 41.1MB Windows version of Transfer
Changes to ViewNX include:
• Support for Mac OS X version 10.5.2 (Leopard) has been added to the Mac version. Support for Service Pack 1 versions of 32-bit Windows Vista Home/Basic/Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate has been added.
• Configuration of the "Navigation Palette" has been changed to consist of "Folders, Metadata, and Quick Adjustment" palettes.
The "Folders" palette displays a folder tree, making it easy to find and display folders containing images. In addition, folders that are frequently accessed can be added to a list of favorite folders.
The "Metadata" palette displays a variety of information about images, including file information such as file name and image size, camera info such as shooting date, the model of the camera used, lens information, focal length, and sensitivity setting, as well as exposure information such as exposure mode and shutter speed. XMP /IPTC infrmation, such as keywords, description, creator, and origin can also be displayed, and edited and saved to image files.
The "Quick Adjustment" palette allows for adjustment of exposure compensation and white balance settings wth RAW (NEF) images. Picture Controls are also available for enhancing images. Gradation and saturation can also be adjusted using the D-Lighting HS and Color Booster enhancements with RAW (NEF), JPEG, and TIFF images.
• A "Favorites" folder pane has been added at the top of the "Navigation" palette's "Folders" palette.
• Support for optional Picture Controls has been added. When optional Picture Controls are installed, the controls are added to the Picture Controls list in the "Quick Adjustments" palette, and can be selected for application to images.
• "D-Lighting HS" and "Color Booster" features have been added for image adjustment and enhancement. However, when RAW (NEF) images saved using Capture NX is displayed in View NX, only the preview image within RAW (NEF) images is displayed.
• When two monitors are used (multiple monitor system), a "Thumbnails" and "Full Screen" option in the "Thumbnail Control" bar allows thumbnails to be displayed in the primary monitor and full screen images to be displayed in the secondary monitor.
• Support for audio files using voice recording features has been added. An icon indicating an audio file is displayed in the "Thumbnail Grid", allowing for audio playback of the file.
• A Trash button has been added to the Bottom bar. Selected images can be deleted using the mouse.
• An option has been added that displays an alert when image files capture with the Image Authentication feature are edited.
• A "None" option has been added to the middle name of the rule displayed in the "File Naming" dialog.
• "Show Movies" and "Show Voice Recordings" options have been added to the options available from the "Thumbnail Control" bar in "Thumbnail Grid" and "Image Viewer" modes. If movies or voice recordings are not displayed, check the "Show Movies" or "Show Voice Recordings" option in the "Thumbnail Control" bar.
• A feature that displays file information as a tooltip when the mouse cursor is positioned over a file name displayed in "Thumbnail Grid" and "Image Viewer" modes has been added. There is a small box containing information that is displayed when the mouse cursor is positioned over an item that supports this feature.
• The previous Camera Settings and XMP / IPTC Information palettes have been combined in the "Metadata" palette that now displays "File & Camera Information and XMP / IPTC Information".
• When voice recording files are selected, "File (file name)", "Date Created", and "Date Modified" items have been added to the information displayed in "File Info1" in the "Metadata" palette.
• A feature has been added that displays image information for image and movie files in the upper left corner of the "Image View" area when the "i" button in the "Image Control" bar is clicked in "Image Viewer" and "Full Screen" modes. Display of shooting information can also be enabled and disabled be pressing "I" on the keyboard.
• The "All Images" option in the "Edit" menu has been moved to the "Select Image" submenu, and a "Select All" option has been added to the "Edit" menu.
• "200%" and "400%" display options have been added to the display scales available in the "Image View" area in "Image Viewer" and "Full Screen" modes.
• Individual R,G,B and Brightness channels can now be displayed simultaneously with histogram display in the "Image View area in "Image Viewer" and "Full Screen" modes. In addition, histogram display can now be enabled and disabled by pressing the SPACE key on the keyboard.
• The label and rating box displayed at the bottom left of the slideshow window when slideshows were played has been eliminated. Image labels and ratings are now displayed in the "Slide Control" bar.
• The minimum value that can be entered when changing image size with file conversion has been reduced to 320 pixels for either width or height, whichever is longer.
• An issue that prevented display of accurate information in the "Camera Settings" palette for images captured in scene modes unique to the Coolpix P80 and S520 has been resolved.
Version 1.1.0 can be downloaded from the following links:
• 50.4MB Macintosh version of ViewNX
• 43.8MB Windows version of ViewNX