Original Source Press Release:
Panasonic: Long-zoom DMC-FZ28 unveiled|
(Monday, July 21, 2008 - 15:39 EDT)
Next up in its raft of digital camera announcements today is Matsushita's latest long-zoom digicam - the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28.
The Panasonic Lumix FZ28 has a 10.1 effective megapixel CCD image sensor coupled to an image stabilized, Leica branded 18x optical zoom lens with a useful range all the way from a 27mm wide angle to a 486mm telephoto. The Panasonic FZ28's maximum aperture varies from f/2.8 to f/4.4 and Macro focusing is possible down to just one centimeter at wide angle (or one meter in Tele Macro mode, when the zoom is set from 11 to 18x). As you'd expect for a long-zoom camera, there's a choice of both a 0.2" electronic viewfinder and a 2.7" LCD display with 230,000 dot resolution, both with 100% coverage.
The Panasonic DMC-FZ28 has a multi-area autofocus system with both face detection and object tracking. ISO sensitivity ranges from 100 to 1600 (ISO 6400 max. in High Sensitivity mode). The FZ28's shutter speeds range from 1/2000 to 60 seconds. The Panasonic DMC-FZ28 uses Intelligent Multiple, Center-Weighted and Spot metering. There are nine white balance settings and no less than thirty seven scene modes, including five Advanced scene mode groupings (Portrait, Scenery, Sports, Night Portrait, and Close-Up) - each of which offer several subchoices to further tune the look of each image. As well as these, for the creative types there are both manual and aperture- / shutter-priority modes on the Panasonic FZ28.
A five mode flash strobe is rated to up to 8.5 meters at wide angle, or 5.4 meters at telephoto As well as Raw and JPEG still images, the Panasonic FZ28 can capture 30 frames-per-second movies with sound at up to high definition 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, although the compression used is the older QuickTime Motion JPEG type, so file sizes are likely to be fairly high. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 stores its images and movies on Secure Digital or MultiMediaCards, including the newer SDHC types. There's also a generous 50MB of built-in memory. Connectivity options include USB 2.0 High-Speed, standard definition NTSC video output, and high-def component video output (although the cable for this is an optional extra). Power comes from a 7.2V, 710mAh proprietary Lithium Ion battery, rated as good for 460 shots on a charge to CIPA testing standards.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 will ship this August, with expected pricing of $400 or thereabouts.
|Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28|
|Dimensions||4.6 x 3.0 x 3.5"|
117.6 x 75.3 x 88.9mm
|Planned Availability|| 2008|
|Sensor Type||1/2.33" CCD|
10.70 megapixels (total)
10.10 megapixels (effective)
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Image Dimensions||3648 x 2736 (10.0 megapixels)|
3648 x 2432 (8.9 megapixels)
3648 x 2056 (7.5 megapixels)
3072 x 2304 (7.1 megapixels)
3072 x 2048 (6.3 megapixels)
3072 x 1728 (5.3 megapixels)
2560 x 1920 (4.9 megapixels)
2560 x 1712 (4.4 megapixels)
2560 x 1440 (3.7 megapixels)
2048 x 1536 (3.1 megapixels)
2048 x 1360 (2.8 megapixels)
1920 x 1080 (2.1 megapixels)
1600 x 1200 (1.9 megapixels)
640 x 480 (0.3 megapixels)
|Capture Speed||Standard: 2.5 frames per second for 3 frames|
|Image Quality||3 levels|
|Image Preview / Review|
|Viewfinder||Yes, 0.20" 201,600 dot electronic viewfinder|
100% field of view
|LCD||2.7", 230,000 pixels|
100% field of view
|Playback Zoom||16.0x max|
|Lens Type||LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT|
18x optical zoom
|Focal Length||4.8 - 86.4mm (actual)|
27 - 486mm (35mm equivalent)
|Aperture Range||f/2.8 (wide) / f/4.4 (tele) - f/8|
|Focusing System||Multi-area with face detection and tracking with AF assist lamp|
Manual Focus possible (0) steps
|Focusing Range||Normal: 12" - infinity (30 cm - in inity)|
Macro: 0.4" - infinity (1.0 cm - infinity)
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, High Sensitivity Auto (1600-6400), 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600|
|Shutter Speed||60 - 1/2000 second|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture, Shutter, Manual|
|Metering Modes||Intelligent Multiple, Center-Weighted, Spot|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 2.0EV in 1/3EV increments|
|White Balance||Image Sensor - Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Flash, Halogen, Color Temperature, White Set 1, White Set 2, Manual|
|Internal Flash||Modes: Auto, Auto w/ Red-Eye Reduction, On, Slow-Sync w/ Red-Eye Reduction, Off|
Range: Wide: 0.3 - 8.5m; Tele: 1.0 - 5.4m (ISO Auto)
|Flash Exposure Compensation||+/- 2.0EV in 1/3EV increments|
|Scene Modes||Party, Candle Light, Baby1, Baby2, Pet, Sunset, High sensitivity, Hi-Speed Burst, Flash Burst, Panning, Starry Sky, Fireworks, Beach, Snow, Aerial photo, Pin Hole, Film Grain, Advanced Portrait, Advanced Scenery, Advanced Sports, Advanced Night Portrait, Advanced Close-Up|
|Self Timer||Yes, 2 or 10 seconds|
|Movie Format||QuickTime Motion JPEG with audio|
|Recording Medium||SD/MMC, Built-in|
|File System||Complies with Design Rule for Camera File System (DCF)|
|File Format||CCD-RAW, JPEG (EXIF 2.21)|
|Computer||USB 2.0 High Speed|
|Battery Type||7.2V, 710mAh Lithium Ion rechargeable|
|Battery Form Factor||Proprietary|
|Software||PHOTOfunSTUDIO Viewer 2.1E, ArcSoft MediaImpression, ArcSoft Panorama Maker, SilkyPix Developer Studio 3.0SE|
|Battery / Charger||1 x proprietary Lithium Ion rechargeable battery and charger|
|Flash Memory||50.0MB built-in memory|
|Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compliant||Yes|
|PANASONIC ADDS ULTIMATE ACTION LUMIX DIGITAL CAMERA WITH LONG ZOOM AND 27MM WIDE-ANGLE LENS|
LUMIX DMC-FZ28 Features AF Tracking, Latest Addition to Intelligent Auto Mode, Helping to Capture Moving Subjects With Clarity
SECAUCUS, N.J. (July 21, 2008) - Panasonic today unveiled the LUMIX DMC-FZ28 digital camera, which boasts a premium 27mm wide-angle LEICA lens with an 18x optical zoom, ideal for tight indoor shots and long-distance action photos. The 10.1 megapixel digital camera also features an enhanced Intelligent Auto Mode (iA), with the new AF (auto focus) Tracking function, making it easier for photographers at any level to shoot sharp, well-focused photos, even when the subject is moving – making it ideal for action shots.
The AF Tracking function, the latest component to be added to Panasonic’s iA system, allows users to lock focus on a moving subject. The camera then automatically tracks the subject as it moves, keeping it in focus without the need to hold the shutter halfway down. AF Tracking makes it easier to capture moving subjects and spur-of-the-moment action shots. The AF Tracking technology also improves Face Detection (up to 15 faces), by providing continuous adjustment of the focus and exposure, even if the face is turned away from the camera.*
“The FZ28 packs a wide-angle lens and a high-powered zoom, so shooting outdoor events or vacation adventures is easy with this powerful camera,” said David Briganti, National Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “Without sacrificing Panasonic’s reputation for high-quality lenses and innovative technologies, the FZ28 expands the Intelligent Auto Mode, allowing a user at any level to take high-quality photos.”
In addition to the AF Tracking functionality, Panasonic’s other iA technologies include:
- Intelligent Exposure - Helps prevents photos from being under- or over-exposed by instantly analyzing the framed image and adjusting the brightness in areas that are too dark because of dim lighting, backlighting or the use of the flash. The camera will automatically adjust the brightness accordingly.
- Digital Red-eye Correction - This feature helps to eliminate the red-eye problem that sometimes results when taking flash shots at night. Incorporated into the camera, the built-in flash emits a small preliminary flash before the main flash, detects red-eye and will digitally correct it.
- MEGA O.I.S. - Gyrosensors detect hand-shake and the lens system shifts to compensate, helping to prevent hand-shake from creating a blurry image.
- Intelligent ISO - Determines if the photo subject is moving and changes the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, thus giving a blur-free photo.
- Intelligent Scene Selector - Senses the ambient conditions, recognizes the shooting environment and will automatically select the appropriate scene mode from: Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait or Night Scenery mode. This intuitive technology, helps the consumer use the most common scene modes that are built into the camera, but often go unused, without making any manual adjustments.
- Face Detection - Detects faces in the frame (up to 15 faces), even if they are moving, and selects optimal focus and exposure settings so portraits come out clear.
- Quick AF (Auto Focus) - Starts focus on the subject by just pointing the camera at the subject, thus minimizing the AF time.
The high-quality, high-performance Venus Engine IV supports a faster response time, allowing the camera to shoot 2.5 shots per second at full resolution and 13 shots per second in High-Speed Burst mode. In High Sensitivity mode, the FZ28 can shoot up to ISO 6400 in extremely low-lit situations. The LUMIX DMC-FZ28 also is equipped with a 2.7-inch large, high resolution LCD with 230,000 pixels, and a high resolution electric viewfinder equivalent to 201,600 pixels.
The DMC-FZ28 also features High Defintion (HD) video capabilities with a resolution of 1280 x 720p at 30fps. Still photos can also be shot in a 16:9 aspect ratio for optimal full-screen viewing on a HDTV. Panasonic VIERA Plasma or LCD HDTVs also feature an integrated SD Memory Card slot, allowing users to easily view photos by simply inserting the SD Memory Card into the convenient SD Card slot built into the TV. Consumer can also enjoy watching videos in HD quality and view still images by connecting the DMC-FXZ28 via an optional Panasonic component cable (DMW-HDC2).
Additional features of the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ28 include:
- Image Leveling - When a captured image “leans” to the right or left because the camera was held at a slight angle when the photo was taken, the Image Leveling function rotates the image to straighten it and crops the unnecessary edges. No computer needed!
- Scene Modes - The DMC-FZ28 offers a total of 37 scene modes to respond easily to any shooting situation. The new Pin Hole and Film Grain modes add unique, film camera-like effects and ambiences to images. Additionally, the actual effects of the scene mode can be viewed on the LCD before taking the shot.
- Flash - Reaches a distance of 8.5 meters at the wide setting and 5.4 meters at the telephoto setting (ISO AUTO).
- SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE - Software application comes bundled with the DMC-FZ28 for editing and developing images in the RAW file format.
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ28 will be available in silver and black in August 2008 for a suggested retail price of $399.95. For more information and to download the full specs, please visit www.panasonic.com/pressroom.
* Face must initially be facing forward to be detected.
About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. (NYSE: MC) and the hub of Panasonic's U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. In its commitment to provide consumers with extensive imaging resources, Panasonic LUMIX established the Digital Photo Academy, a series of nationwide workshops designed to instruct consumers how to optimize the features on their digital cameras and produce high-quality photos. Panasonic is honored to support OUR PLACE – The World’s Heritage, a project that will create the world’s largest photographic collection of UNESCO World Heritage sites, with acclaimed photographers exclusively using LUMIX digital cameras to capture all images. Information about Panasonic LUMIX digital still cameras and its affiliated programs is available at www.panasonic.com/dsc.
# # #