PRESS RELEASE: The DAM Book, Second Edition--New from O'Reilly: Digital Asset Management for Photographers
Sebastopol, CA—One of the main concerns for digital photographers today is asset management: how to file, find, protect, and re-use their photos. The best solutions can be found in The DAM Book, Second Edition (O'Reilly Media, $49.99 USD), our bestselling guide to managing digital images efficiently and effectively.
Anyone who shoots, scans, or stores digital photographs is practicing digital asset management (DAM), but few people do it in a way that makes sense. In this second edition, photographer Peter Krogh--the leading expert on DAM--provides new tools and techniques to help professionals, amateurs, and students.
Krogh says, "Since the first version of this book was published, much has changed, but much has stayed the same. The photograph remains one of the most important creative artifacts that we produce. And digital photography, like all photography, continues to be a blend of art and science--in fact, in many ways it is the ultimate convergence of these two. And, unfortunately, it's still not easy to create a digital photo archive that we can know, with certainty, will be around when we want it later."
However, with Krogh's help through this informative book, you will soon be able to:
- Understand the image file lifecycle--from shooting to editing, output, and permanent storage
- Learn new ways to use metadata and key words to track photo files
- Create a digital archive and name files clearly
- Determine a strategy for backing up and validating image data
- Learn a catalog workflow strategy, using Adobe Bridge, Camera Raw, Microsoft Expression Media, Adobe Lightroom, and Photoshop CS4 together
- Migrate images from one file format to another, from one storage medium to another, and from film to digital
- Learn how to copyright images
- To identify and protect your images in the marketplace, having a solid asset management system is essential. The DAM Book offers the best approach.
"When I want to look good in front of a demanding crowd of photographers, I never hesitate to steal from this book. Peter Krogh definitely knows what he is talking about."
--Russell Preston Brown, Senior Creative Director, Adobe Systems, Inc.
Peter Krogh is regarded as one of the world's leading experts on DAM, or digital asset management. You can see his photography work on his website, www.peterkrogh.com. Read more about the book, and participate in an online discussion about the principles he promotes at www.theDAMbook.com.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523572
The DAM Book, Second Edition
ISBN: 9780596523572, 494 pages, $49.99 USD, £30.99 GBP
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
(First posted on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 14:07 EDT)