Qimage Pro 2001 v2.5 released!|
(Friday, July 13, 2001 - 13:48 EDT)
Latest version adds embedded ICC profile support and more...
An email from Mike Chaney, author of popular imaging utility Qimage Pro, tells us of a new release of the program. Qimage Pro 2001 v2.5 has the following new features and bug-fixes:
Qimage Pro costs $35, and a 30-day time limited trial version can be downloaded free of charge. Color profiles and plugins can be purchased for $12.99 each.
Qimage Pro website
- Support for embedded ICC profiles!: v2.5 has full support for embedded ICC profiles. This means that Qimage Pro will recognize and use an embedded ICC profile when it reads a JPEG or TIFF image containing an ICC profile. In addition, Qimage Pro will now embed an ICC profile in TIFF's when an ICC profile is specified any time a TIFF image is saved from Qimage Pro (using "Convert Images" from the queue, using the batch filter, etc.). This makes using ICC profiles much easier and increases portability of images between applications since once you have assigned a profile, you no longer have to worry about whether or not Qimage Pro is picking up the appropriate profile. Although Qimage Pro will read and utilize embedded ICC profiles from any JPEG/TIFF image (the only two formats that support ICC profile embedding), this version can only output embedded profiles in TIFF format images (including 16 bit TIFF's saved from raw files). Mike plans to support JPEG ICC profile embedding in the future.
- NEF thumbnail reading speed: In prior versions, you may have noticed a short delay before Qimage Pro began building thumbnails when you entered a folder that contained a large number of NEF images. Mike has eliminated this delay in the latest version.
- ICC profile information: v2.5 has been enhanced to display the embedded profile description in the queue (if Printer ICC is turned on). In addition, the profile description is also displayed on the "Image Info" window accessed by holding the mouse pointer over a thumbnail and pressing Ctrl-I, and on the EXIF hotbar displayed at the bottom of the QP main window. This enhancement will help take the guesswork out of exactly what profile is embedded in your image files!
- TIFF conversions: Beta 3 now preserves embedded profiles from original to TIFF copies when converting or filtering images in Qimage Pro. When saving TIFF format images from Qimage Pro, the embedded profile will be saved in the new/created TIF if an embedded profile existed in the original. In other words, embedded profiles are copied from the original to the new image as long as you use the TIFF format when saving new images in Qimage Pro. This embedded profile 'preservation' will occur even if "Perform profile to profile conversion" is not selected.
- Thumbnail color: Fixed a bug that was causing some (usually the first page of) thumbnails to have inconsistent color if "Monitor ICC" profile was enabled.
- Batch filter fix: Fixed a problem that caused variations in image appearance if the "File", "Save Filtered Image(s)" function was used from the batch filter without closing the window, clicking "Done", or clicking "Next" or "Prev".
- Thumbnails and mouse pointer position: v2.5 now restores the mouse pointer to the appropriate thumbnail after: using the full screen view, using the image examiner, and using the "Display image info" option. This feature helps keep your position in the thumbnail list when viewing information about individual thumbnails.