Olympus C-2040 ZoomOlympus updates an old favorite, producing a "third generation" two megapixel digicam.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 2/20/2001
||2.11 megapixel sensor, delivering 1,600 x 1,200 pixel images|
||Fast (f/1.8-f/2.6) 3x optical zoom lens|
||Improved user interface|
||Excellent image quality and low light capability|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Over the last several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. They boast one of the broadest camera lineups in the industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level designs to the incredible "near-pro" E-10 SLR. With the C-2040 Zoom, they've updated their perennially popular C-2000 two megapixel design, incorporating some user interface enhancements and a new, very "fast" lens (f/1.8 at wide angle). Changes to the camera electronics also provide improved color rendition and low light performance. This is now the third generation of the C-2000 design, and the experience shows in the form of a camera with many strengths and very few weaknesses. Given that two megapixel cameras like the C-2040 Zoom have enough resolution to produce sharp prints as large as 8x10 inches, the C-2040 Zoom could constitute a nearly ideal camera for the advanced user who'd like to save a little money relative to a three megapixel model, but who doesn't want to give up any control or exposure flexibility in the process. Overall, an excellent design, and a very strong entry at the two megapixel resolution level.
- 2.11-megapixel CCD delivering up to 1,600 x 1,200-pixel resolution images.
- 1.8-inch, color LCD display.
- Super Bright f/1.8-2.6 3x Zoom 7.1-21.3mm aspherical glass lens (equivalent to a 40-120mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 1-2.5x Digital Zoom (up to 5X in VGA mode).
- Manual and Automatic Focus control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/800 to 16 seconds for still images; 1/10,000 to 1/30 second for movies.
- Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Spot or Digital ESP metering systems.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, and Panoramic capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, plus a WB color adjustment function.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes, plus Slow Sync mode.
- QuickTime Movie mode with edit function.
- Five-pin external flash socket.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to SmartMedia (8MB card included).
- 8MB internal memory buffer (SDRAM)
- USB cable for fast connection to a computer.
- NTSC video cable.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master 2.5 utility software (includes QuickTime and USB drivers).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from two CR-V3 battery packs (included), or four AA batteries (AC adapter optional).
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-2040 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate