Olympus C-3020 ZoomA bargain-priced, full featured 3 megapixel model from Olympus!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 2/16/2002
||3 megapixel sensor for images to 2048 x 1536 pixels|
||3x optical zoom lens|
||Full auto, flexible "scene" modes, or full manual exposure control|
||Powered by dual AAs or CR-V3 lithium batteries|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I'm accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Over the past several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. With one of the broadest digital camera lineups in the industry, their models range from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot digicams to the pro-level E-20 SLR. The Camedia C-3020 Zoom is their entry in the "full-featured, bargain-priced 3 megapixel" field, a category they have surprisingly little competition in. The 3020 replaces the previous C-3000 Zoom, which was one of the best buys in the full-feature three megapixel markeplace throughout its product life.
Relative to Olympus' "high end" three megapixel model, the C-3040 Zoom, the 3020 sports a slightly "slower" lens, lacks an external flash connector, and has no sound recording capability. (Its movies are all "silent" ones.) The result is a very competitively priced three megapixel camera with a full range of exposure modes, including full automatic, flexible "scene" modes for common shooting conditions, and full manual. Overall, it offers a lot of bang for the buck, is easy to use (in full auto mode), yet provides plenty of room to grow as your photographic skills mature. If I'm any judge, this one's going to be a big seller.
- 3.2-megapixel CCD (3.14 MP effective) delivering image resolutions as high as 2,048 x 1,536 pixels.
- Real-image optical viewfinder and 1.8-inch color LCD monitor.
- 3x, 6.5-19.5mm zoom lens (equivalent to a 32-96mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- Additional 2.5x digital zoom.
- Manual and automatic focus control, with Continuous Autofocus setting and adjustable focus area.
- Automatic, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, as well as five Scene modes.
- My Image customizeable shooting mode.
- Adjustable apertures from f/2.8 to f/11.
- Shutter speeds from 1/800 to 16 seconds.
- Digital ESP and Spot metering modes, with AE Lock function.
- Exposure compensation from -2 to +2 in 1/3 EV increments.
- 100, 200, and 400 ISO equivalent sensitivity settings, with an Auto mode.
- Built-in flash with six modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with seven operating modes and a red/blue calibration tool.
- Image Effects menu for creative shooting.
- Noise Reduction mode for long exposures.
- Movie (without sound), Continuous Shooting, Self-Timer, and Auto Exposure Bracketing modes.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats, movies saved as Motion JPEGs.
- Image storage on SmartMedia memory card (16MB card included).
- USB cable for high-speed connection to a computer.
- Software CD included, loaded with drivers and CAMEDIA Master software.
- Power from four AA batteries (set of alkaline included), two CR-V3 battery packs, or optional AC adapter.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-3020 Zoom!