Olympus C-3040 ZoomOlympus updates its top-of-the-line 3-megapixel model with a "faster" lens and increased movie capabilities.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 4/14/2001
||3.3-megapixel sensor, delivering 2,048 x 1,536-pixel images|
||Fast (f/1.8-f/2.6) 3x optical zoom lens|
||Improved user interface|
||Excellent image quality and low-light capability|
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Over the past several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. It boasts one of the broadest digital camera lineups in the industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot digicams to the incredible "near-professional" E-10 SLR. With the Camedia C-3040 Zoom, Olympus updated its former top-of-the-line 3-megapixel design, the Camedia C-3030, incorporating some user interface enhancements and a new, very "fast" lens (f/1.8 at wide angle). Changes to the camera's electronics also provide improved color rendition and better low-light performance.
The C-3040 represents the second generation of the C-3000 design -- continuing a line that began two years ago with the original C-2000. (Really, it's a third generation design, if you trace it's roots to the original C-2000.) The Olympus design experience is evident in this advanced Camedia model, which has many strengths and very few weaknesses. The C-3040 is designed to compete strongly at the top of the current "prosumer" digicam world, with excellent design, great exposure capability, good image quality, and excellent low-light performance. Overall, the C-3040 is a very strong entrant in the 3-megapixel digicam market.
- 3.34-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,048 x 1,536-pixel resolution images.
- 1.8-inch, wide view, color LCD display.
- Super Bright 7.1-21.3mm f/1.8-2.6, 3x zoom aspherical glass lens (equivalent to a 40-120mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 2.5x Digital Zoom (up to 5x at the 640 x 480-pixel resolution size).
- Manual and Automatic Focus control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/800 to 16 seconds for still images; 1/10,000 to 1/30 second for movies.
- Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Spot or Digital ESP metering systems.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, and Panoramic capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, plus a WB color adjustment function.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes, plus two Slow Sync modes.
- QuickTime Movie mode with edit function.
- Five-pin external flash socket.
- Infrared remote control included.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to SmartMedia memory card (16MB card included).
- USB cable for fast connection to a computer.
- NTSC video cable.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master 2.5 utility software (includes QuickTime and USB drivers).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from two CR-V3 battery packs (included), or four AA batteries (AC adapter optional).
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-3040 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate