Olympus C-4040 ZoomOlympus introduces a top-of-the-line 4-megapixel model with noise reduction technology, optimum image enlargement, and newly designed interface
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 07/23/2001
||4.1 -megapixel sensor, delivering
2,816 x 2,112-pixel images
||Fast (f/1.8-f/2.6) 3x optical zoom lens
||Improved user interface
||Excellent image quality and low-light capability
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Over the past several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam
marketplace. It boasts one of the broadest digital camera lineups in the
industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot
digicams to the incredible "near-professional" E-10 SLR. With the
Camedia C-4040 Zoom, Olympus has improved upon the recent Camedia C-3040
model, by increasing CCD resolution to 4 million pixels, introducing advanced
noise reduction and interpolation functions, and incorporating Olympus' new
"user selectable" menu interface. Changes to the camera's electronics
also provide improved color rendition and better low-light performance.
The Olympus C-4040 Zoom is among the first in a new generation of 4-megapixel "prosumer" digital cameras intended for the advanced amateur and professional market. Priced at less than $1,000, the Camedia 4040 delivers images measuring 2,272 x 1,704 pixels, which when combined with Olympus' new noise reduction technology and "optimum image enlargement" function, can produce quality prints as large as 16 x 20 inches.
- 4.1-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,816 x 2,112-pixel resolution images (3,200 x 2,400 pixels with Optimum Image Enlargement).
- 1.8-inch, wide view, color LCD display.
- Super Bright 3x, 7.1 - 21.3mm, f1.8 - f/10 zoom (equivalent to a 35-105mm lens on a 35mm camera)
- 2.5x Digital Zoom.
- Manual, Auto, and Spot Auto Focus control.
- Shutter speeds from 1/800 to 16 seconds for still images; 1/10,000 to 1/30 second for movies.
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Spot, Multi-Spot, or ESP multi-patterned metering systems.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, and Panoramic capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six settings, plus a WB color adjustment function.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes, two Slow Sync modes, and extended working range to 18 feet.
- Noise Reduction for improved image quality.
- QuickTime Movie mode.
- Five-pin external flash socket.
- Infrared remote control included.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved to SmartMedia memory card (16MB card included).
- USB Auto-Connect for fast image download.
- NTSC video cable.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master 2.5 utility software (includes QuickTime and USB drivers).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from two CR-V3 battery packs (included), or four AA batteries (AC adapter optional).
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-4040 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate