Olympus C-50 ZoomOlympus packs a 5.0-megapixel CCD into an ultra-compact body, with a host of advanced features too.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 11/26/2002
||5.0-megapixel resolution for 2,560 x 1,920 images.|
||3x zoom lens|
||Ultra-compact, all metal body.|
||Full manual exposure control.|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I'm accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Olympus continues to be a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. Their digital camera lineup is one of the broadest in the industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot digicams to advanced digital SLRs (Single-Lens Relexes). With the release of the C-50 Zoom, Olympus pairs a 5.0-megapixel CCD, true 3x optical zoom lens, and (optional) manual exposure control with an ultra-compact body. Traditionally, compact digicams offer only limited feature sets, but the C-50 Zoom is really a fully-capable model with a wealth of both advanced and novice-oriented features. Besides the extensive manual exposure controls, it also offers a full range of Scene modes to make it easier for novices to handle tricky shooting conditions. Finally, a unique"My Camera" menu lets the user custom-configure a broad range of settings to meet specific needs. With a street price at introduction under $600, the C-50 Zoom is a versatile, affordable, very compact, digicam.
- 5.0-megapixel CCD with TruePic technology, delivering image resolutions as high as 2,560 x 1,920 pixels.
- 1.5-inch, color LCD display.
- Real-image optical viewfinder.
- Olympus 3x Zoom, 7.8-23.4mm aspherical glass lens (equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 4x Digital Zoom.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to eight seconds for still images; 1/8,000 to 1/30 seconds for movies.
- Auto, Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, plus six Scene modes.
- Spot or Digital ESP metering systems.
- Auto Bracketing and Sequence capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with five settings.
- Variable ISO setting.
- Contrast and Sharpness image adjustments.
- Built-in flash with six operating modes.
- QuickTime Movie mode (without sound).
- Panorama and "2 in 1" capture modes.
- "My" mode for saving customized settings.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved on xD-Picture Card (16MB card included).
- USB cable for fast connection to a computer.
- Video cable for connection to a television set.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master 4.0 utility software (includes QuickTime and USB drivers).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from one lithium-ion battery pack or optional AC adapter (battery and charger included).
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-50 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate