Olympus C-5060 Wide ZoomOlympus makes a strong update to the top of their prosumer lineup
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 11/21/2003
| ||Five-megapixel sensor, delivering 2,592 x 1,944-pixel images |
| ||Super wide angle lens, with 4x optical zoom, equivalent to a 27-110mm lens on a 35mm camera |
| ||Enhanced histogram function for better exposures |
| ||Bulb shutter setting for long exposures |
| ||Accepts xD-Picture Card and CompactFlash memory card formats|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
|Free Photo Lessons|
With the Camedia C-5060 Wide Zoom, Olympus has improved upon the recent Camedia C-5050 Zoom model just slightly (an outstanding digicam in its own right), by incorporating a 4x, super wide angle lens. The C-5060's tilting LCD monitor offers more angles than the previous C-5050, and the camera's histogram feature has been enhanced for better exposure control as well. The C-5060 Wide Zoom now supports CompactFlash and xD-Picture Card recording media formats. (While the previous C-5050 Zoom also supported SmartMedia on top of these, Olympus dropped SmartMedia in the C-5060 due to its 128 MB capacity limit and reduced usage in the marketplace.) Like the C-5050 Zoom, the C-5060 Wide Zoom also features a RAW data mode, and the ability to extract JPEG images with adjusted image parameters from RAW files in the camera, as well as all of the extensive exposure control that I so enjoyed on the C-5050 model.
The Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom is clearly one of the leaders in the new generation of five-megapixel "prosumer" digital cameras intended for the advanced amateur and professional market. Aggressively priced at just under $700 as of its introduction, the Camedia 5060 delivers uninterpolated images as large as 2,592 x 1,944 pixels, which when combined with Olympus' new noise reduction technology and "optimum image enlargement" function, can produce quality prints as large as 16 x 20 inches.
All in all, the Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom is an impressive package of picture-taking technology, well deserving of serious consideration by anyone looking for a capable "enthusiast" camera in the 5-megapixel category.
- 5.1-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,592 x 1,944-pixel resolution images (3,264 x 2,448 pixels with Optimum Image Enlargement interpolation).
- 1.8-inch, color LCD display that tilts 180 degrees upward and swivels 180 degrees around.
- Olympus 4x, 5.7 - 22.8mm, f2.8 - f/8.0 zoom lens (equivalent to a 27-110mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 3.5x Digital Zoom.
- Manual, Auto (iESP), Spot, and Selective Spot Auto Focus control, with AF assist light for low-light shooting.
- Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 16 seconds, with a Bulb setting. (Shutter speeds higher than 1/2,000 are only available when the lens aperture is set to f/8 though.)
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, plus five preset Scene modes.
- My Mode for saving custom user settings.
- Spot, Multi-Spot, or ESP multi-patterned metering systems.
- Adjustable sensitivity with an Auto setting and 64, 100, 200, and 400 ISO equivalents.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, Panoramic, and "2-in-1" capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with 11 settings, plus a WB color adjustment function.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes, three Slow Sync modes.
- External flash hot-shoe accepts generic strobes as well as dedicated Olympus units.
- Optional "single-pop" flash mode for use with external slave flash units.
- Noise Reduction for improved image quality on long exposures.
- Optional autofocus-assist illuminator.
- Live histogram display option.
- Image sharpness, saturation, and contrast adjustments.
- Black-and-White, Sepia, White Board, and Black Board capture modes.
- QuickTime Movie mode with sound, and Voice Caption mode.
- Compatible with optional infrared remote control.
- JPEG, uncompressed TIFF, and RAW file formats.
- Images saved to either CompactFlash or xD-Picture Card memory cards (32MB xD-Picture Card included in the box in the US).
- USB Auto-Connect for fast image download.
- Video cable for connecting to a television set.
- Software CD with Olympus' Camedia Master utility software (includes QuickTime and USB drivers).
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from a single lithium-ion battery pack or optional AC adapter (battery and charger included).
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate