Olympus C-7000 Wide ZoomSeven megapixels, 5x zoom, great pictures, a ton of features, and great build quality - A real winner!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 11/26/04
||7.1-megapixel CCD, delivering 3,072 x 2,304-pixel
||5x optical zoom lens
controls as well as contrast, saturation, and sharpness adjustments
||RAW data and TIFF file
formats, as well as compressed JPEG
||New "Redeye Fix" Playback option for removing redeye in-camera|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. Click here for a version of the Olympus C-7000 review without the site navigation links and graphics.
Manufacturer Overview: Olympus C-7000
|Free Photo Lessons|
Olympus has long been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. They boast one of the broadest lineups of digicams in the industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level point-and-shoot digicams to the exceptional E-1 SLR and the newer E-300 EVOLT. The 7.1-megapixel, 5x zoom Olympus C-7000 Zoom combines the flexibility of near-professional level exposure control to a compact, point-and-shoot body style. The Olympus C-7000 Zoom offers just about every "enthusiast" feature you could ask for, excellent image quality, and a small body size that's perfect for travel. At the same time though, its full-auto and scene modes make it easy for a novice to use. Camera body fit and finish is superb, possibly due to Olympus' bringing the lion's share of manufacturing for their high-end digicams back in-house. New to the Olympus C-7000 Zoom is a Red-eye Fix option in Playback mode, so that you can go back and remove any red-eye that manages to slip past the Red-Eye Reduction preflash. The camera also boasts five preset scene modes, a time-lapse photography mode, and movie with sound recording capabilities, in addition to the well-known features we've come to love on Olympus digicams. After working with it over a period of a couple of weeks, the Olympus C-7000 Zoom impressed us as one of the better choices on the market for a full-featured yet compact digicam.
Read on for the full details.
Olympus C-7000 High Points
- 7.1-megapixel CCD delivering up to 3,072 x 2,304-pixel resolution images.
- 2.0-inch, color LCD display.
- Real-image optical viewfinder.
- 7.9-39.5mm, f2.8 5x zoom (equivalent to a 38-190mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 6x Digital Zoom.
- Automatic and manual focus control, with manually adjustable AF area.
- Shutter speeds from 1/2,000 to 15 seconds for still images.
- Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, plus five preset Scene modes.
- My Mode saves customized user settings.
- Spot or Digital ESP multi-pattern metering systems, with a Multi-Metering mode.
- Auto Bracketing, Sequence Shooting, Panoramic, and Time-lapse capture modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with eight settings, plus a WB color "tweak" function.
- Optional "fine-tuning" adjustments for color saturation, contrast, and in-camera sharpening.
- Built-in, pop-up flash with four operating modes, and three Slow Sync modes.
- Redeye Fix option in Playback mode.
- Noise Reduction for improved image quality with long exposures.
- QuickTime Movie mode with sound.
- JPEG, uncompressed TIFF, and RAW file formats.
- Images saved to xD-Picture Card (32MB card included).
- USB Auto-Connect for fast image download, without special driver software on current operating systems.
- Video cable for connection to a television set.
- Software CD with Olympus Master utility software (includes QuickTime, USB drivers, and reference manual) and a second CD with the full operating manual.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility and print settings.
- Power from one Li-12B lithium-ion battery pack (included with charger), or optional AC adapter.
- Optional IR remote control.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus C-7000 Wide Zoom!