Nikon CoolPix 885More Pixels, More Features, (a little) More Money - Nikon extends their sub-compact Digicam line!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 9/19/2001
||2,048 x 1,536-pixel resolution|
||3x optical zoom, 2.5x digital zoom|
||One-Touch image upload to the Internet|
||256-segment through-the-lens metering|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Long a powerhouse in the world of film-based photography, Nikon has made an equally significant impact on the digital imaging world. Combining Nikon's famous high-precision optics with innovative design, the Coolpix digicams are among the most popular digital camera models in recent memory, as are its Coolscan film scanners, which continue to set the highest quality standards in the professional imaging community. The Coolpix 885 provides a wide range of exposure options, including a fully Automatic mode for beginning digital photographers, 12 preset Scene modes for shooting under specific lighting conditions, and a Custom mode for more experienced users. It also incorporates Nikon's new "One Touch" access to the Internet, which can automatically upload images to your computer or to Nikon's image sharing website (www.nikonnet.com.) via an external "Transfer" button. Combine these features with a high-quality 3-megapixel CCD and 3x Nikkor Zoom lens, and you have a very inviting package for both the beginning and experienced digital photographer.
- 3.21-megapixel CCD delivering 2,048 x 1,536-pixel image size.
- 3x optical zoom (38-114mm equivalent) f/2.8-4.9 Nikkor lens.
- 1.5-inch 110,000-pixel low-temperature TFT LCD display.
- Up to 4x Digital Zoom.
- ISO equivalencies of 100, 200, 400, and Auto.
- 12 Preset Scene modes
- Five metering modes.
- Three JPEG compression modes plus uncompressed TIFF
- Macro focusing from 1.6 inches to infinity.
- Exposure Compensation from -2.0 to +2.0 exposure values (EV).
- Five-Area Multi Autofocus
- Built-in Flash with five modes.
- Flexible White Balance with seven settings, including a manual Preset option.
- Best Shot Selection automatically chooses sharpest image.
- Noise Reduction feature for long exposures.
- Records up to 40-second QuickTime movies.
- CompactFlash memory for image storage, ships with 16MB card.
- Quick Review mode simultaneously shows live action with last captured image.
- User-selectable Image Sharpening and Contrast / Brightness adjustments.
- Optional Nikon Telephoto, Wide-Angle, and Fisheye Converter lenses.
- Compact SLR style body weighs only 7.9 ounces (225 grams).
- Extensive software package
- Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compatible.
- Transfer Button for one-touch upload to computer or the Internet.
- Text-based information files saved with images.
- Proprietary rechargeable lithium-ion battery supplied with charger.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Nikon CoolPix 885!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate