Nikon Coolpix 8400By: Shawn Barnett & Dave Etchells
Nikon broadens its 8-megapixel lineup, with a "wide" angle 3.5x zoom model, but the same legendary Nikon feature set!
(Next): User Report>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 09/16/2004, Updated: 12/13/2004
|8.0 (effective) megapixel CCD delivers images up to 3,264 x 2,448 pixels.|
|Nikkor lens provides 3.5x, 24-85mm equivalent zoom range.|
|"Articulated" LCD tilts/swivels 270 degrees.|
|White balance bracketing and noise reduction modes extend capability.|
|Electronic viewfinder for optimum framing accuracy|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I'm accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized version of the Nikon Coolpix 8400 review.
|Free Photo Lessons|
Nikon Coolpix 8400 High Points
- 8.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 3,264 x 2,448 pixels.
- 3.5x, 6.1-21.6mm Nikkor ED lens with 24-85mm zoom equivalent focal length range.
- As high as 4x digital zoom.
- Electronic viewfinder (235,000 dot) with information display.
- 1.8-inch color LCD monitor (134,000 dot) with swivel design.
- Automatic and manual focus control, with adjustable focus area.
- Maximum aperture of f/2.6-4.9 depending on zoom setting.
- Available shutter speeds from 1/3,000-second to eight seconds, ten minutes in Bulb mode.
- Program AE, Flexible Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- 256-segment Matrix, Center-Weighted, Spot, and AF Spot metering modes.
- Eight White Balance modes with a White Balance Bracketing mode.
- Auto sensitivity or ISO equivalents of 50, 100, 200, and 400.
- Image Adjustment menu, Sharpness, Saturation, and Noise Reduction controls.
- Continuous, High Speed Continuous, Ultra High Speed Continuous, Multi-Shot 16, Best Shot Selector, and Movie (with sound) shooting modes.
- "Best Shot Selector" or BSS, captures multiple images (up to 10) in low light where the image is likely to be blurred; the camera then selects the sharpest and saves it to the card.
- "Exposure BSS" takes up to five shots and selects the best for shadow and highlight detail.
- Built-in self-timer.
- Built-in, pop-up flash with five settings.
- AF Assist Lamp.
- Voice Memo function.
- External flash hot shoe.
- Images and movies stored to CompactFlash Type I or II memory cards, plus MicroDrive.
- Uncompressed TIFF, NEF (RAW data), JPEG, and QuickTime and WAV file formats.
- USB cable and interface for quick connection to a PC or Macintosh.
- Power supplied by rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack (included) or optional AC adapter.
- NTSC or PAL video outputs with appropriate cable included.
- Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Nikon Coolpix 8400!