Nikon Coolpix 8800By: Shawn Barnett & Dave Etchells
Nikon improves on its flagship 8 megapixel prosumer camera with a longer zoom and vibration reduction to improve long handheld shots.
(Next): User Report>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 09/16/2004, Updated: 11/23/2004
|8.0 (effective) megapixel CCD delivers images up to 3,264 x 2,448 pixels.|
|Nikkor lens provides 10x, 35-350mm equivalent zoom range, now with vibration reduction.|
|"Articulated" LCD tilts/swivels 270 degrees.|
|White balance bracketing and noise reduction modes extend capability.|
|Electronic viewfinder for better framing accuracy with long zoom lens.|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I'm accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
|Free Photo Lessons|
Announced September 16, 2004, the Nikon Coolpix 8800 extends the high end of Nikon's "prosumer" lineup, incorporating both a longer-ratio 10x zoom lens and optical vibration reduction technology to control camera shake at long telephoto focal lengths. The new Nikon 8800 is the latest in a long line of Nikon digital cameras that have helped define the state of the art in prosumer cameras from the early days of the digital revolution. With an 8-megapixel sensor, a 10x zoom lens with ED glass, Vibration Reduction, and the panoply of advanced features we've come to expect from the upper end of the Coolpix digicam line, the Nikon 8800 is poised to compete at the very top of the "prosumer" digital camera market. At the same time though, optional fully automatic operation and a rich collection of 12 "scene" modes make it easy for even rank amateurs to use. All in all, the new Nikon Coolpix 8800 is a powerful package of photographic technology. - Read on for all the details!
- 8.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 3,264 x 2,448 pixels.
- 10x, 8.9-89mm Nikkor ED lens with 35-350mm zoom equivalent focal length range.
- Vibration Reduction technology for better handheld shots. (Nikon 8800 is first Coolpix with VR technology)
- Electronic viewfinder with information display.
- As high as 4x digital zoom.
- 1.8-inch color LCD monitor with swivel design.
- Automatic and manual focus control, with adjustable focus area.
- Maximum aperture of f/2.8-5.2 depending on zoom setting.
- Available shutter speeds from 1/3,000-second to eight seconds, and up to ten minutes in Bulb mode.
- Program AE, Flexible Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- 256-segment Matrix, Center-Weighted, Spot, and AF Spot metering modes.
- Eight White Balance modes with a White Balance Bracketing mode.
- Auto sensitivity or ISO equivalents of 50, 100, 200, and 400.
- Image Adjustment menu, Sharpness, Saturation, and Noise Reduction controls.
- Continuous, High Speed Continuous, Ultra High Speed Continuous, Multi-Shot 16, Best Shot Selector, and Movie (with sound) shooting modes.
- "Best Shot Selector" or BSS, captures multiple images (up to 10) in low light where the image is likely to be blurred; the camera then selects the sharpest and saves it to the card.
- "Exposure BSS" takes up to five shots and selects the best for shadow and highlight detail.
- Built-in self-timer.
- Built-in, pop-up flash with five settings.
- AF Assist Lamp.
- Voice Memo function.
- External flash hot shoe. (Nikon 8800 now controls zoom head on Nikon SB-600/800 speed lights.)
- Images and movies stored to CompactFlash Type I or II memory cards, plus MicroDrive.
- Uncompressed TIFF, NEF (RAW data), JPEG, QuickTime, and WAV file formats.
- USB cable and interface for quick connection to a PC or Macintosh.
- Power supplied by rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack (included) or optional AC adapter.
- NTSC or PAL video outputs with appropriate cable included.
- Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Nikon Coolpix 8800!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate