Olympus D-490 ZoomOlympus updates a popular 1.3 megapixel model to 2 megapixels, with improved features.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 10/28/2000
||2.1 megapixel resolution for 1,600 x 1,200-pixel images|
||3X optical zoom lens (35-105mm equivalent) with autofocus|
||Variable ISO, 100 to 400|
||Spot metering option for difficult lighting conditions|
New QuickTime Movie features
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Olympus America continues to introduce high-quality new products to the rapidly growing market of filmless digital cameras. On the prosumer side, Olympus recently introduced the E-10, the first 4-megapixel digital camera priced for the professional/serious amateur photographer. Less-expensive models include the Camedia C-2100 Ultra Zoom and ES-100 RS (Rapid Shot) digital cameras - with 2.1- and 1.5-megazpixel CCDs, respectively. Both of these cameras feature 10X image-stabilizer zoom lenses that greatly extend focusing capabilities among consumer-level digicams. The ES-100 RS even provides rapid shooting speeds of up to 15 frames per second! The D-490 Zoom is the company’s latest midrange model, featuring a 2.1-megapixel CCD and 3X zoom autofocus lens. The fourth in a series of D-400 cameras, the D-490 combines advanced options like variable ISO and spot metering with point-and-shoot simplicity. The real plus is the 3X optical zoom lens, which provides greatly enhanced framing flexibility. We're big believers in the value of zoom lenses for general-use cameras, and the D-490 Zoom combines good quality optics with solid camera performance.
- 2.1 megapixel CCD delivers 640 x 480- to 1,600 x 1,200-pixel resolution images
- Variable ISO: w/auto or manual selection of ISO 100/200/400
- 3X optical zoom (35-105mm equivalent) with f/2.8-f/4.4 maximum aperture
- Up to 2.5X (1.6, 2.0, 2.5x) "digital telephoto" at any focal length
- Macro focusing to 8 inches (20cm)
- 1/1,000- to 1/2-second shutter speeds
- Optical and LCD Monitor viewfinders
- Diopter adjustment for optical viewfinder
- Four recording modes, including uncompressed TIFF
- Built-in flash with six operating modes
- Five user-selectable white balance settings
- Panorama exposure mode when using Olympus-branded memory cards
- Sequential shooting up to two frames per second
- QuickTime Movie mode
- Direct print to optional Olympus photo printer (P-200, 330, 330N, 400)
- SmartMedia image storage, 8MB card included
- Power via 4 AA batteries (alkalines included, buy a set of NiMH rechargeables!)
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus D-490 Zoom!
Top 3 photos this month win:
1 Canon PIXMA PRO-100
2 Canon PIXMA MG6320
3 Canon PIXMA MG5420