Olympus Camedia D-510 ZoomOlympus updates its popular 2.1 megapixel D-490 model with a new user interface and improved features.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 6/18/2001
||2.1 megapixel resolution for 1,600 x 1,200-pixel images|
||3x optical zoom lens (35-105mm equivalent) with autofocus|
||Variable ISO, 100 to 400|
||Spot metering option for difficult lighting conditions|
QuickTime Movie features
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Over the past several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. It boasts one of the broadest digital camera lineups in the industry, with numerous models ranging from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot digicams to the incredible "near-professional" E-10 SLR. The D-510 Zoom is the company's latest midrange model, featuring a 2.1-megapixel CCD and 3x zoom autofocus lens. The newest upgrade to the D-400 series cameras, the D-510 combines advanced options like variable ISO and spot metering with point-and-shoot simplicity. The real plus is the 3x optical zoom lens, which provides greatly enhanced framing flexibility. We're big believers in the value of zoom lenses for general-use cameras, and the D-510 Zoom combines good quality optics with solid camera performance.
- 2.1-megapixel CCD delivers 640 x 480- to 1,600 x 1,200-pixel resolution images.
- Adjustable light sensitivity with Auto, 100, 200, and 400 ISO equivalencies.
- 3x optical zoom (35-105mm equivalent) with f/2.8 to f/4.4 maximum aperture.
- 3x digital zoom.
- Macro focusing to 8 inches (20cm).
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 1/2 second.
- Optical real image viewfinder with diopter adjustment.
- 1.8-inch LCD monitor with 61,000 pixels.
- Four image quality settings, including uncompressed TIFF.
- Built-in flash with six operating modes.
- Five user-selectable white balance settings.
- Panorama exposure mode when using Olympus-branded memory cards.
- Five-shot sequential shooting at 1.8 frames per second.
- QuickTime movie capabilities.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- SmartMedia image storage, 8MB card included.
- USB AutoConnect feature.
- Powered by four AA alkaline, NiMH, NiCd rechargeables, or two CR-V3 Li-Ion batteries (AA alkalines included, optional AC adapter available)
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus Camedia D-510 Zoom!
Top 3 photos this month win:
1 Canon PIXMA PRO-100
2 Canon PIXMA MG6320
3 Canon PIXMA MG5420