Olympus Camedia E-100 Rapid ShotOlympus unleashes a 1.5 megapixel speed demon: By FAR the fastest digicam we've tested to date!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 1/18/2001
||1.5 megapixel CCD for 1,360 x 1,024 pixel images|
||10x optically stabilized zoom lens.|
||Amazing 15 frame per second continuous-mode speed!|
||"Pre-Capture" mode takes up to 5 photos before you press the shutter!|
||Dual card slots support SmartMedia and CompactFlash cards simultaneously.|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
An undisputed leader in the digicam marketplace, Olympus America Inc. offers one of the broadest consumer/prosumer digital camera lineups of any manufacturer. Its award-winning consumer products like the Camedia C-2020 and C-3030 Zoom cameras (recently updated with the new C-2040 and C-3040 models), and its revolutionary digital SLRs like the C-2500L and E-10, continue to draw praise and awards from the photographic press. Last year's introduction of the Camedia C-211 Zoom drew attention as the first digital camera/printer combo to reach retailer's shelves -- a joint effort with Polaroid that brought instant print cameras into the digital age. And its more conventional digital printers, the P-200 and P-400, were the first products to bring true, continuous-tone, dye-sublimation print quality within reach of the serious amateur photographer.
With all these innovative Olympus products making headlines last year, speed was the factor that separated the Camedia E-100 Rapid Shot from the competition. Introduced concurrently with the 4-megapixel E-10, the E-100RS was considered the "sports model" of the popular Camedia line. Its 15-frame-per-second (!) sequential shooting mode (a kind of "digital motor drive"), and 10x zoom Image Stabilizer lens, make it the perfect camera for sports and nature photographers. Though somewhat pricey compared to typical "prosumer" digicams, the $1,500 price tag makes it accessible to a wide range of pros and amateurs who need a really fast digital SLR.
- 1.51-megapixel, high-speed, progressive CCD delivering up to 1,360 x 1,024-pixel resolution images.
- 1.8-inch, TFT color LCD monitor, with approximately 114,000 pixels.
- Electronic SLR viewfinder design.
- 10x, 7-70mm aspherical glass lens, with image stabilization (equivalent to a 38-380mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 2.7x digital telephoto.
- Manual and Auto Focus.
- Apertures from f/2.8 to f/8.0, depending on zoom setting.
- Shutter speeds from 1/10,000 to 16 seconds.
- Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Scene Program, and Manual modes.
- Movie mode with sound recording.
- Up to 15 frames-per-second Sequential Shooting mode at full 1.5 megapixel resolution, as well as Pre-Capture, Auto Bracketing, and AF Sequence modes.
- Adjustable White Balance with six modes.
- Multi-pattern, Center-weighted, Spot, and Multi-metering modes.
- Built-in, popup flash with four operating modes.
- Manually adjustable ISO with 100, 200, and 400 sensitivity equivalents.
- Five-pin external flash connection.
- Infrared remote control.
- Image storage on SmartMedia or CompactFlash Type I and II memory cards.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF still image file formats (Wave format sound files and Motion JPEG movies).
- Power from two CR-V3 lithium battery packs, or four AA alkaline, NiMH, NiCd, or lithium batteries (four NiMH rechargeable batteries and charger included).
- USB cable for quick connection to a computer.
- Three software CDs with Olympus Camedia Master utilities, Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE, and Altamira Genuine Fractals 2.0 plug-in.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Olympus Camedia E-100 Rapid Shot!
Top 3 photos this month win:
1 Canon PIXMA PRO-100
2 Canon PIXMA MG6320
3 Canon PIXMA MG5420