Canon EOS-1D Mark IICanon doubles the resolution of their speed demon SLR, while actually increasing its speed and cutting image noise. Amazing!
(Next): Comparison, Canon EOS-1D Mark II vs EOS-1D>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 01/27/2005
||8.2-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers 3,504 x 2,336 pixel images|
||SD/MMC and CompactFlash (Type I and II) compatibility|
||Enhanced image review options|
||Full support for RAW file format in-the-box|
||Highly configurable to suit individual shooting needs/styles|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I'm accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Canon EOS-1D Mark II: Manufacturer Overview
|Free Photo Lessons|
Canon EOS-1D Mark II: High Points
- Dynamic mirror damping ("Active Mirror Control") for very short viewfinder blackout and low vibration.
- Improved shutter durability, rated at 200,000 shutter cycles in the EOS-1D Mark II.
- Wireless TTL flash capability.
- Ultra-rugged magnesium alloy chassis.
- 8.5-megapixel, high-sensitivity, large single-plate CMOS sensor (8.2 million active pixels) delivering image resolutions as high as 3,504 x 2,336 pixels.
- TTL optical viewfinder (100 percent field of view) with full information display.
- Lens mount compatible with Canon EF lenses.
- 45-point autofocus area, with One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF modes.
- Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, and Bulb exposure modes.
- Shutter speeds from 1/8,000 to 30 seconds, with Bulb mode for unlimited exposure times.
- Sensitivity equivalents from ISO 50 to 3,200. (Default range is 100 to 1,600. Expanded range from 50 to 3,200 is a menu option.)
- 21-zone Evaluative Metering system, as well as conventional Center-Weighted, Partial (large spot), Spot (both Center Spot and AF Area-linked), Multi-Spot, and FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) metering systems.
- User adjustable White Balance setting with 10 modes, plus a White Balance Bracketing option.
- ISO and Auto Exposure Bracketing options.
- Hot shoe for connecting an external flash unit, as well as a threaded PC socket for electronic flash.
- 2.0-inch LCD monitor for image playback and review.
- Low-Speed and High-Speed Continuous shooting modes.
- sRGB and Adobe RGB color space options.
- 21 customizable functions, as well as the ability to download three groups of image settings from a computer.
- 25 "personal functions," for further customization.
- Sound recording capability.
- RAW and JPEG image file formats.
- Images stored on CompactFlash Type I or II (includes Microdrive), or SD/MMC card.
- High-speed, IEEE-1394 "FireWire" interface for computer host connection.
- USB cable for direct printing to Canon printers.
- Optional remote control accessory.
- Video cable included for connecting to a television set.
- Power supplied by (very high capacity) rechargeable NiMH battery pack (NP-E3) or AC adapter kit (both included).
- Canon Solution Disk interface software and Digital Photo Professional image manipulation and format conversion software included, providing for extensive camera control and customization, as well as processing of RAW image files.
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate