Canon EOS-1Ds Mark IICanon upgrades their "ultimate" d-SLR with 16.7 megapixels of resolution and significant performance improvements.
(Next): Comparison, Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II vs EOS-1Ds>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 9/26/2005
||16.7-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers 4,992 x 3,328 pixel images, highest resolution in a 35mm-style body (as of mid-2005).|
||Sensor covers full 35mm frame area, no focal length multiplier.|
||SD/MMC and CompactFlash (Type I and II) compatibility|
||Full support for RAW file format included|
||Very configurable to suit individual shooting styles|
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II: Manufacturer Overview
|Free Photo Lessons|
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II: High Points
- Dynamic mirror damping ("Active Mirror Control") for very short viewfinder blackout and low vibration.
- Improved shutter durability, rated at 200,000 shutter cycles in the EOS-1Ds Mark II.
- Wireless TTL flash capability.
- Ultra-rugged magnesium alloy chassis.
- 17.2-megapixel, high-sensitivity, large single-plate CMOS sensor (16.7 million effective pixels) delivering image resolutions as high as 4,992 x 3,328 pixels.
- TTL optical viewfinder (100 percent field of view) with full information display.
- Lens mount compatible with Canon EF lenses.
- 45-point autofocus area, with One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF modes.
- Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, and Bulb exposure modes.
- Shutter speeds from 1/8,000 to 30 seconds, with Bulb mode for unlimited exposure times.
- Sensitivity equivalents from ISO 50 to 3,200. (Default range is 100 to 1,600. Expanded range from 50 to 3,200 is a menu option.)
- 21-zone Evaluative Metering system, as well as conventional Center-Weighted, Partial (large spot), Spot (either Center Spot and AF Area-linked), Multi-Spot (up to 8 separate spot measurements combined), and FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) metering systems.
- User adjustable White Balance setting with 9 modes, plus White Balance Bracketing and Correction options.
- ISO and Auto Exposure Bracketing options.
- Hot shoe for connecting an external flash unit, as well as a threaded PC socket for electronic flash.
- 2.0-inch LCD monitor for image playback and review.
- Continuous shooting mode.
- sRGB and Adobe RGB color space options.
- 21 customizable functions, as well as the ability to download three groups of image settings from a computer.
- 25 "personal functions," for further customization.
- Sound recording capability.
- RAW and JPEG image file formats.
- Images stored on CompactFlash Type I or II (including Microdrives), or SD/MMC card.
- High-speed, IEEE-1394 "FireWire" and USB interfaces for computer host connection.
- USB cable for direct printing to Canon printers or connection to host for downloads.
- Optional remote control accessory.
- Video cable included for connecting to a television set.
- Power supplied by (very high capacity) rechargeable NiMH battery pack (NP-E3) or AC adapter kit (both included).
- Canon Solution Disk interface software and Digital Photo Professional image manipulation and format conversion software included, providing for extensive camera control and customization, as well as processing of RAW image files.
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate