Fujifilm FinePix 2300Fuji updates their "value priced" entry-level camera with 2 megapixels and USB connectivity.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 07/2/2001
||2.1 megapixel CCD for 1,600 x 1,200 images|
||Fixed focal-length lens equivalent to 36mm on a 35mm film camera|
||Very easy point & shoot operation|
||USB connection for quick downloads to your PC|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
A longtime contender in the digital imaging arena, Fuji Photo Film U.S.A. Inc. has made a strong showing in consumer-based digital cameras in recent years. Fujifilm's first digicam under the FinePix brand name -- the 4700 Zoom -- was introduced in 2000, incorporating Fuji's highly controversial Super CCD technology. While the subsequent FinePix 4800 and 4900 models both fell within the higher-quality prosumer category ($700 - $1,000 list), Fujifilm also introduced three new entry level models, the FinePix 2300 and 2400 Zoom, and the FinePix 40i with MP3 and QuickTime movie capabilities. Both the 2300 and 2400 sport the same 2.1-megapixel CCD sensor (of Fuji design, but not Super CCD), compact construction, and point-and-shoot user interface. The difference lies in the lenses. The 2400 features a 3x optical zoom lens and the 2300 has a fixed-focus 36mm equivalent wide-angle lens, with a price difference of just over $100 ($279 vs. $399 list). While we would happily invest the extra money for the convenience and versatility of a 3x zoom lens, our tests indicate that the FinePix 2300 still delivers high-quality images at a very reasonable price. If you're in the market for great price and point-and-shoot simplicity, this model certainly deserves your attention.
- 2.11-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 1,600 x 1,200 pixels.
- Real image optical viewfinder and 1.6-inch color LCD monitor.
- 5.8mm fixed focal length lens, equivalent to a 36mm lens on a 35mm camera.
- 2.5x digital zoom.
- Full automatic exposure control.
- Available apertures of f/4.8 and f/11.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 1/2 second.
- Sensitivity equivalent to 100 ISO.
- Adjustable white balance with seven modes.
- 64-zone metering system.
- Built-in flash with five operating modes.
- 10-second Self-Timer and Continuous Shooting modes.
- Images saved in JPEG format to SmartMedia cards (8MB card included).
- USB cable for quick connection to a PC.
- Software CD loaded with USB drivers, DP Editor, FinePix Viewer, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, Apple QuickTime, and Adobe ActiveShare.
- Power from four AA batteries.
- Compatible with Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) devices.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Fujifilm FinePix 2300!