Fuji FinePix 40iLook! There in your pocket! It's a camera! It's an MP3 player! It's... The Fujifilm Finepix 40i!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 11/03/2000
||2.4 megapixel "SuperCCD" creates images up to 2400x1800 pixels|
||40mm equivalent lens, with up to 3.75x "digital zoom"|
||Seven-mode white balance, EV compensation for exposure flexibility|
||Built-in MP3 player function for portable music|
EZ Print Link Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Fujifilm has become one of the major players in the digital camera field, and this year in particular (2000) has had a number of major product announcements. Perhaps their most unusual device to date is the FinePix 40i, the subject of this review. Combining an MP3 player with a high-resolution SuperCCD-based digital camera, the 40i's sleek styling helps define a new category of "multimedia fashion accessory." The combination of music and pictures is a natural for the teen set, but the 40i seems aimed at a higher market, both through its price ($699 at release), and through its higher picture quality (a full 2.4 megapixel sensor, interpolated to create 4.3 megapixel files. We're not sure if its price point will fly with consumers, and we have a few quibbles on the user interface, but there's no question it's a neat toy, and we've always been strong advocates of the position that any camera you actually have with you takes more pictures than one sitting at home in a drawer. Given the added lure of portable music, the 40i is a good candidate to become a constant companion, and its good color and high resolution mean the pictures you snap are likely to be "keepers."
- 2.4 megapixel Super CCD delivering up to 2,400 x 1,800-pixel resolution images.
- 1.8-inch, D-TFT, color LCD monitor.
- 8.3mm, Super EBC Fujinon lens (equivalent to a 36mm lens on a 35mm camera) with an aperture of f/2.8.
- 3.75X digital zoom.
- Automatic exposure.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 1/4 second.
- Built-in flash with five operating modes.
- Adjustable white balance with seven mode settings.
- Sensitivity equivalent to ISO 200.
- Movie with sound recording mode.
- MP3 playback function, with included mini-earphones.
- Images stored as JPEGs on SmartMedia memory cards, 16MB card included (SmartMedia with ID for MP3 playback).
- USB cable for high-speed connection to a computer, with interface software for downloading images and MP3s.
- Wired remote control for MP3 playback, as well as image capture and playback.
- NTSC and PAL video outputs.
- Power from two AA Ni-MH or Ni-Cd batteries, set of Ni-MH batteries and charger included.
- Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Fuji FinePix 40i!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate