Fuji FinePix 4900 ZoomFujifilm extends its consumer digicam, with a 6x optical zoom lens and extensive exposure controls.
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 10/7/2000
||2.4 megapixel SuperCCD sensor delivers up to 2400x1800 pixel images|
||6x optical zoom lens|
||Extensive exposure control|
||Numerous nice user-interface touches|
||Internal and external flash support|
EZ Print Link Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Fujifilm has become one of the major players in the digital camera field, and this year in particular (2000) has had a number of major product announcements. One of their latest is the FinePix 4900 Zoom, a surpringly compact camera with a 6x optical zoom lens, and a host of advanced features. More than any other Fuji camera, the FinePix 4900 is aimed at the all-important "advanced amateur" market, with all the manual controls you could wish for, but excellent automatic options as well. Cameras in this category need to offer easy operation in automatic mode, but not restrict the photographer who wants to take full control of the exposure process. The FinePix 4900 meets both these needs admirably, and throws in a host of excellent user-interface functions and innovations. Overall a very strong entry for Fujifilm at the high end of the "prosumer" digicam market.
- 2.4 megapixel CCD delivering up to 2400 x 1800 pixel resolution images.
- 6x, 7.8 to 46.8 mm lens (equivalent to a 35 to 210 mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- Up to 3.75x digital telephoto.
- Two inch, low temperature, polysilicon TFT LCD monitor with 130,000 pixels.
- Automatic, Scene, Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Apertures adjustable from f/2.8 to f/11.0.
- Shutter speeds from three to 1/2,000 seconds.
- Manually adjustable white balance with eight operating modes.
- Adjustable ISO with 125, 200, 400, and 800 sensitivity equivalents.
- Built-in, popup flash with five modes.
- Continuous shooting with intervals as short as 0.2 seconds.
- Movie mode and Auto-Bracketing feature.
- JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats, with images saved on SmartMedia memory cards.
- NTSC video cable included for viewing images on a television set.
- USB cable included for fast connection to a computer, and software package for downloading and correcting images.
- Power supplied by NP-80 rechargeable battery or AC adapter/battery charger.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Fuji FinePix 4900 Zoom!
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate