Sony MVC-FD87Sony announces an affordable 1.3-megapixel digicam with basic features, good quality pictures, and a dual-media storage drive!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 5/4/2001
||1.3-megapixel CCD delivering 1,280 x 960-pixel images|
||3x optical zoom lens|
||3.5-inch floppy diskette image storage with optional Memory Stick Adapter|
||Powered by rechargeable InfoLITHIUM battery pack|
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Sony has long held a dominant position in the digicam marketplace, with a wide range of models enjoying enormous popularity with consumers. Last spring (February, 2000), it stunned the digicam world by announcing no fewer than six new models. This year (2001), it repeated this hat trick at Spring PMA in Orlando, FL, once again announcing six new units. As they did last year, this year's announcements affected both the Mavica and Cyber-shot lines, and four of these models included members of the FD Mavica family, enormously popular because of their floppy disk storage media.
The new MVC-FD87 continues the "baseline" Mavica format, with floppy-only storage, extending the line's capabilities with 12-bit digitization (for excellent highlight detail), a fast 4x-speed floppy drive, and a number of evolutionary feature enhancements.
- 1.3-megapixel CCD delivering as high as 1,280 x 960-pixel images.
- 2.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor.
- 3x, 6.1-18.3mm lens (39-117mm equivalent on a 35mm camera) with maximum apertures from f/2.8-f/2.9.
- Automatic focus control, plus five fixed focus settings.
- 2x Precision Digital Zoom.
- Automatic exposure control.
- Twilight, Twilight Plus, Landscape, Panfocus, and Spot Metering modes.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes.
- Four user-selectable White Balance settings.
- Text and E-Mail record modes.
- Still images recorded as JPEG or GIF files.
- Creative Picture Effects menu.
- 3.5-inch floppy diskette image storage (or Sony Memory Stick with optional floppy adapter).
- Power via Sony NP-F330 InfoLITHIUM battery pack or AC adapter (both included).
- Software CD containing MGI PhotoSuite and MGI VideoWave.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.