Sony MVC-FD92Sony adds a Memory Stick slot to a popular 1.3/1.6 megapixel (interpolated) design, for increased storage and improved image quality!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 4/16/2001
||1.3-megapixel CCD for interpolated images to 1,472 x 1,104 pixels|
||8x optical zoom lens|
||True dual-media design (floppy disk/MemoryStick)|
||Movies with sound and unique Clip Motion animation mode|
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Sony has long held a dominant position in the digicam marketplace, with a wide range of models enjoying enormous popularity with consumers. Last spring (February, 2000), they stunned the digicam world by announcing no fewer than six new models. This year (2001), they repeated this hat trick at Spring PMA in Orlando, FL, once again announcing six new units. As they did last year, this year's announcements affected both the Mavica and Cyber-shot lines, and four of these models included members of the FD Mavica family, enormously popular because of their floppy disk storage media.
Two of the FD Mavicas -- the MVC-FD92 and MVC-FD97 -- have broken ground as the first "dual-media" digicams, adding a built-in slot for Sony's Memory Stick storage media, as well as the existing 1.44MB floppy drive. This expanded design overcomes the previous FD Mavica limitations, by 1) providing a high-capacity storage option (Sony recently announced a 128MB Memory Stick) in addition to the floppy disk storage, and 2) providing image transfer capability between the two media within the cameras. These new features are sure to add to the popularity of Sony's Mavica line, along with the lower price/feature points we've observed across the entire line of new Sony digicams.
- Interpolated, 1.6-megapixel CCD delivering as high as 1,472 x 1,104-pixel images.
- 2.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor.
- 8x, 4.75-38mm lens (41-328mm equivalent on a 35mm camera) with maximum apertures from f/2.8-f/3.
- Automatic focus control, plus five fixed focus settings.
- 2x Precision Digital Zoom.
- Automatic exposure control.
- Twilight, Twilight Plus, Landscape, Portrait, and Spot Metering modes.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes.
- External flash connection for Sony external flash accessories.
- Four user-selectable White Balance settings.
- Movie with sound and Clip Motion recording modes.
- Text, Voice, and E-mail record modes.
- Still images recorded as JPEG, GIF, or uncompressed TIFF files, movies recorded as MPEGs.
- Creative Picture Effects menu.
- 3.5-inch floppy diskette or Memory Stick image storage.
- USB and NTSC A/V cables included.
- Power via Sony NP-F330 InfoLITHIUM battery pack or AC adapter (both included).
- Included software CD contains interface software USB drivers, MGI PhotoSuite, and MGI VideoWave.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.