Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20By: Dave Etchells
Panasonic introduces a five-megapixel digicam with the high quality optics of a 12x Leica lens.
(Next): Comparison With Other Panasonic DMC-FZ Models>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 12/17/2004
||5.0-Megapixel CCD delivers 2,560 x 1,920-pixel images|
||12x optical zoom lens covers 36-432mm equivalent range while maintaining f/2.8 aperture|
||Full range of manual and automatic exposure options, with nine preset shooting modes|
||Excellent image stabilization system makes long zoom truly useful, even in less bright light.|
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page of our Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 review.
Introduction - The Panasonic DMC-FZ20
|Free Photo Lessons|
NOTE: FZ20 vs FZ15. As noted, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 is very similar to the 4-megapixel Panasonic DMC-FZ15 model we reviewed previously. If you've read that review, you probably know most of what there is to know about the Panasonic FZ20 already. You can skip to our feature comparison chart to see the differences between the Panasonic FZ20 and other long-zoom Panasonic digital cameras, or jump down to the conclusions page to see what we thought of the FZ20, based on our tests.
- 5.0-megapixel CCD delivering up to 2,560 x 1,920-pixel resolution images.
- Electronic optical viewfinder.
- 2.0-inch, color LCD monitor.
- 12x Leica zoom lens, 6-72mm (equivalent to a 36-432mm lens on a 35mm camera) with auto and manual focus, and available nine-point focus area.
- As much as 4x digital telephoto.
- Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes, as well as nine preset "Scene" exposure modes.
- Manually adjustable aperture settings from f/2.8 to f/8.0.
- Capable of maintaining f/2.8 across zoom range.
- Manually adjustable shutter speed settings from 1/2000 to 8 seconds.
- ISO sensitivity equivalents: Auto, 80, 100, 200, and 400.
- Three metering modes: Multiple, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering.
- White balance setting with six modes, including a manual setting.
- Built-in pop-up flash with six operating modes and flash exposure compensation.
- JPEG and TIFF still image file formats, movies saved as Motion JPEGs.
- Images saved to SD/MMC memory cards, 16MB card included.
- Movie mode with sound.
- Flip Animation mode, plus three Burst continuous shooting modes and Auto Exposure Bracketing.
- Color Effects option, as well as contrast, saturation, and sharpness settings.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- USB cable for high-speed connection to a computer.
- Lens hood and hood adapter included.
- ArcSoft PhotoImpression, Panorama Maker, and PhotoBase software on accompanying CD ( for both Mac and Windows)
- Powered by Panasonic rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, with optional AC adapter.
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate