Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30By: Dave Etchells
Panasonic's latest in the Lumix lineup, with an eight-megapixel sensor and high quality long-zoom Leica optics.
(Next): Comparison with Earlier Panasonic DMC-FZ Models>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 01/18/2006
|8.0-Megapixel CCD delivers 3,264 x 2,448-pixel images|
|12x optical zoom lens covers 35-420mm equivalent range|
|Full range of manual and automatic exposure options, with 14 preset shooting modes|
|Excellent image stabilization system makes long zoom truly useful, even in less bright light.|
Introduction - The Panasonic Lumix FZ30
Though Panasonic was late offering a wide array of digital cameras, they've produced some excellent and very popular digicams in the last few years; particularly in the long zoom category. The Panasonic Lumix FZ30 combines a 12x optically stabilized zoom lens with a 8.0-megapixel sensor, a host of features, and a new burly look designed to entice novice and enthusiast in a market that's swinging toward the SLR. (The Panasonic FZ30 is very similar to the FZ20 model, the biggest difference being its 8.0-megapixel CCD vs the 5.0-megapixel chip on the FZ20, and a handful of minor control updates. It is not an SLR.) True to its Leica heritage, the Panasonic FZ30's long zoom shows very good optical quality, and the rest of the camera happily measures up as well. Read on for all the details, but if you're in the market for a long-zoom digicam with optical image stabilization, the Panasonic FZ30 looks like a good bet.
Panasonic Lumix FZ30 High Points
- 8.0-megapixel CCD delivering up to 3,264 x 2,448-pixel resolution images.
- Electronic optical viewfinder.
- 2.0-inch, color, swiveling LCD monitor.
- 12x Leica zoom lens, 7.4-88.8mm (equivalent to a 35-420mm lens on a 35mm camera) with auto and manual focus, and available nine-point focus area.
- As much as 4x digital telephoto.
- Auto, Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes, as well as 14 preset "Scene" exposure modes.
- Manually adjustable aperture settings from f/2.8 to f/11.0.
- Manually adjustable shutter speed settings from 1/2,000 to 60 seconds.
- ISO sensitivity equivalents: Auto, 80, 100, 200, and 400.
- Three metering modes: Multiple, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering.
- White balance setting with six modes, including a manual setting.
- Built-in pop-up flash with six operating modes and flash exposure compensation.
- JPEG, TIFF, and RAW still image file formats, movies saved as Motion JPEGs.
- Images saved to SD/MMC memory cards, 16MB card included.
- Movie mode with sound.
- Flip Animation mode, plus three Burst continuous shooting modes and Auto Exposure Bracketing.
- Color Effects option, as well as contrast, saturation, and sharpness settings, and adjustable noise reduction.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- USB cable for high-speed connection to a computer.
- Lens hood included.
- Optional wired remote shutter release.
- ArcSoft software suite and Lumix Simple Viewer and PHOTOfunSTUDIO software on accompanying CD ( for both Mac and Windows)
- Powered by Panasonic rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, with optional AC adapter.
1 $300 Adorama Gift Certificate
2 $200 Adorama Gift Certificate
3 $100 Adorama Gift Certificate