Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8
|Dimensions:||3.8 x 2.4 x 1.3 in.
(98 x 62 x 33 mm)
|Weight:||6.6 oz (188 g)
Panasonic LZ8 Intro
Panasonic has revealed two closely related digital cameras that join its Lumix LZ-series, the DMC-LZ8 and DMC-LZ10. Both have wide-angle lenses, manual controls and Intelligent Auto technologies.
Panasonic LZ8 Features
The Panasonic LZ8 includes a 1/2.5" 8.1 effective megapixel RGBG CCD image sensor, while the Panasonic LZ10 bumps this in favor of a 1/2.33" 10.1 effective megapixel imager. Both cameras couple this with a Leica DC Vario-Elmarit branded F3.3 - F5.9 5x optical zoom lens, although the difference in sensor size means that the 35mm-equivalent focal range differs somewhat - 32-160mm for the LZ8, or 30-150mm for the LZ10. Both cameras also include a 2.5" LCD with 230,000 pixel resolution, and both store images on SD / SDHC / MMC cards or in 20MB of built-in memory. Power comes from two AA batteries, which are rated for some 470 shots on a charge in the LZ8, and just slightly less at 460 shots per charge for the LZ10. (CIPA standard testing using NiMH rechargeables with 50% flash usage at room temperature).
Additional Panasonic LZ8 features and details (adapted from the press release):
- MEGA O.I.S. – Gyrosensors in the Panasonic LZ8 detect hand-shake and the lens system shifts to compensate, helping to prevent hand-shake from creating a blurry image.
- Intelligent ISO – The LZ8 can determine if the photo subject is moving and change the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, thus giving a blur-free photo.
- Intelligent Scene Selector – The Panasonic LZ8 senses the ambient conditions, recognizes the shooting environment and will automatically select the appropriate scene mode from: Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait or Night Scenery mode.
- Face Detection – Panasonic’s Face Detection detects up to 15 faces anywhere in the frame, even if they are moving, and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure settings so portraits come out clear and crisp.
- Quick AF – The Panasonic LZ8's Quick AF (auto focus) system starts focus on the subject by just pointing the camera to the subject, thus minimizing the AF time.
- The LZ8's newly added speaker lets consumer enjoy a slide show with music, selecting from natural, slow, urban or swing tunes; or add voice to a motion video.
- The DMC-LZ8's title Edit function which allows the consumer to input text to accompany a photo, for instance, the names of children or travel locations.
- Ability to record WVGA (848 x 480) motion images at 30 frames per second in a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal for viewing on High Definition televisions, such as Panasonic VIERA Plasmas and LCDs.
- The DMC-LZ8's ability to shoot 1920x1080 pixel High-Definition ready photos is ideal for wide-screen viewing on a 16:9 VIERA Plasma or LCD.
- The DMC-LZ8 can shoot up to 180 images with the included Alkaline batteries and 470 images with optional Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (2600mAh).
- A record/playback mode switch, which lets the photographer switch between recording and playback modes, while always knowing the current mode
Panasonic LZ8 Pricing and Availability
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 will retail for around US$180, and goes on sale in the USA from February 2008.
|Print this Page|