Sony DSC-P1Sony packs a 3 megapixel CCD and a full 3x optical zoom lens into an exceptionally compact digicam!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 9/12/2000
Ultra-compact form factor for maximum portability
High-quality 3 megapixel CCD for 2048x1536 images
Full 3x optical zoom lens plus 2x Precision Digital Zoom
12-bit digitization for excellent tonal range
|*||Optional Marine Pack for underwater use to 100 ft (30m)!|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
There seems to be a hot trend afoot in the digicam market, toward very small, portable cameras. A number of factors are driving this, including market demand from style-conscious consumers, ever-advancing technology, and the truism that cameras sitting in drawers and closets don't take many pictures. Canon arguably kicked off this trend with their small 2 megapixel Digital ELPH, and Kodak has recently announced their compact if not exactly feature-laden DC3800. Now, Sony has joined the fray with a highly-featured 3 megapixel ultra-compact digicam, the DSC-P1.
We think the new DSC-P1 hits a real "sweet spot" in the digicam market, combining a very pocket-friendly size and shape with topnotch image quality and an impressive list of features. In working with the camera, we were left very much with an impression of a "no compromises" design mandate, from the super-sharp 3x zoom lens to the 3 high-performance 3 megapixel sensor itself. While it lacks the complex exposure modes of the Sony's flagship DSC-S70, the image quality and flexibility need no excuses: This is a top-tier 3 megapixel camera that just happens to be packaged in a very compact body! Throw in an optional "marine" case that's waterproof to a full 100 feet (30 meters), and you have a digicam that truly deserves the label "go anywhere!"
- 3.34 megapixel Super HAD CCD delivering up to 2048 x 1536 pixel images.
- 1.5 inch Pixel Precision LCD, 123,000 (!) pixels.
- 3x (!), 8 to 24 mm lens (equivalent to a 39 to 117 mm lens on a 35 mm camera).
- 6x Precision digital enlargement.
- Automatically controlled aperture ranging from f/2.8 - f/5.3 at wide angle, f/5.6 - f/9.6 at telephoto
- Automatic exposure with five Program AE preset exposure modes.
- Manually adjustable white balance with four operating modes.
- Built-in flash with four operating modes.
- Movie, Clip Motion, E-Mail, Voice Memo and Text capture modes.
- Creative Picture Effects menu.
- MPEG, GIF, JPEG and uncompressed TIFF file formats.
- Images saved on Memory Sticks, eight megabyte card included.
- USB cable for connection to a PC or Macintosh computer.
- InfoLithium battery system.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) printing compatibility.
Top 3 photos this month win:
1 Canon PIXMA PRO-100
2 Canon PIXMA MG6320
3 Canon PIXMA MG5420