Fujifilm S8100fd Review
|Full model name:||Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd|
|Sensor size:||1/2.3 inch|
|Viewfinder:||EVF / LCD|
|Dimensions:||4.4 x 3.1 x 3.1 in.
(111 x 78 x 79 mm)
|Weight:||14.3 oz (405 g)|
|Full specs:||Fujifilm S8100fd specifications|
Fuji S8100fd Intro
Fujifilm has launched an update to its S8000fd digital camera. The main change in the Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd as compared to the previous model is a slight bump in sensor resolution.
Fuji S8100fd Features
Where the S8000 used an eight megapixel 1/2.35" CCD sensor, the Fuji S8100fd is based around a 1/2.3" CCD with a 10.0 effective megapixel resolution. The S8100's sensor sits behind a Fujinon-branded f/2.8 - f/4.5 18x optical zoom lens that offers a 35mm-equivalent focal range from 27 - 486mm. The S8100fd's sensor is mounted on a movable platter, allowing it to be used to provide sensor shift-type image stabilization.
Additional Fuji S8100fd feature details (adapted from the press release):
- Fujifilm’s innovative face detection technology, recognized with a 2007 ‘Best of What’s New Award’ from Popular Science Magazine, has enabled a number of advanced features that advanced consumer photographer will enjoy. The Fuji S8100fd's Face Detection operates by identifying and prioritizing up to 10 faces in a framed scene and then adjusting the focus and exposure accordingly to ensure the sharpness and clarity of human subjects in the picture, regardless of background. After the shot is captured the automatic Red Eye Removal feature instantly checks each detected face for red eye and if it’s found, corrects it in the camera automatically, saving the time-consuming process of fixing it in your PC after the image is downloaded. A new Instant Zoom function captures moving subjects at high zoom settings. After zooming on a subject, a single button gives an additional 1.4x or 2x digital zoom at the center focus region of the frame. Zoom Bracketing performs a similar action using Fujifilm’s face detection technology to lock its zoom action on a subject’s face automatically as it enters the shot.
- Like the FinePix S8000fd, the FinePix S8100fd features Fujifilm’s Dual Image Stabilization, a marriage of mechanical sensor shift stabilization, to steady the photographer’s hand, with Fujifilm’s Picture Stabilization Technology, which uses fast shutter speeds and ISO levels of up to ISO 6400 (at 5 MegaPixels) for total anti-blur protection. As a result, an increase in clarity and sharpness is achieved, even in low light conditions. A Continuous Shooting Mode makes it easy to shoot moving subjects like pets and kids. This new feature allows high-speed shooting of up to 33 frames at 13.5 frames per second (at 3 megapixels; 6.8 frames per second at 5 megapixels). And with high speed playback at 10 frames per second you can be sure you’ve captured all of the action.
- i-Flash: i-Flash Intelligent Flash detects subtle lighting differences within a scene and then varies the flash intensity accordingly. It also leverages the high sensitivity of the FinePix S8100fd to enable the camera to use less flash, resulting in an image that displays pleasing, natural tones without a washed-out effect. And with an automatic pop-up flash, it’s always ready when you need it.
- Full Manual Photographic Control: Photo enthusiasts and advanced photographers have total control with manual adjustment options for various Fuji S8100 settings including resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and more.
- Scene modes: A wide range of 13 pre-programmed scene modes provides top-quality photos in a variety of shooting conditions.
- Super Macro Mode: Full-frame close-ups are easy with this feature that lets the photographer to get as close as 1cm (0.4 inch) with the Fuji S8100fd.
- Dual Shot Mode: In this mode, the FinePix S8100fd quickly shoots two images in succession – one with and one without flash – saving both. This convenient function lets the user perform an on-the-spot comparison and decide whether the FinePix S8100fd produced the most pleasing photo with flash, or without.
- Movie Mode: The Fuji S8100fd offers VGA quality movies at 30 frames per second with sound.
- High Resolution LCD: The 2.5” Wide View LCD display offers 230,000 pixels of high resolution with a 60 frames per second refresh rate for smooth viewing.
- Electronic Viewfinder (EVF): In addition to framing your shots with the 2.5” high resolution LCD, the S8100fd also offers a high resolution electronic viewfinder to eye up the best shot with an astonishing 60 fps refresh rate for smooth viewing.
- xD / SD / SD-HC Compatible slot: A single media slot accepts not only Fujifilm’s traditional xD-Picture Cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity (SD-HC) cards too. Operates on 4xAA Batteries: The ultimate in convenience and accessibility, using AA batteries means in a pinch, more batteries for the FinePix S8100fd are just moments away.
Fuji S8100fd Pricing and Availability
The Fuji FinePix S8100fd goes on sale from March 2008, with a pricetag of about US$400.
|Print this Page|