Nikon 500mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor
Your purchases support this site
Buy the Nikon 500mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor
- Amazon Click to see price
- Adorama for $7,999.00
- B&H Photo for $6,799.00 Buy here to enter drawing this month for $500 Gift Card
(From Nikon lens literature) Nikon has announced three new AF-S super-telephoto NIKKOR lenses -- the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR, and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR -- to further strengthen its super-telephoto lens line-up. With unprecedented image quality, responsiveness and versatility, these new NIKKOR lenses are certain to set a new benchmark for super-telephoto lenses.
The new super-telephoto lenses are equipped with a Vibration Reduction (VR) function. Nikon's VR II system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, offering a shutter speed up to the equivalent of four stops faster. The newly added Tripod mode reduces vibration that may occur when shooting with a super-telephoto lens when attached to a tripod at shutter release time. Nikon's VR function also gives photographers the option of a natural viewfinder image even during VR operation.
The superior functioning of the newly developed optical system ensures flawless synchronization with Nikon's digital SLRs. The new optical design features three Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements that minimize chromatic aberration while producing consistently high-quality images. The Nano Crystal Coat -- extra-low refractive index coating --- virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths and is particularly effective in reducing ghosting and flare. A meniscus protective glass element also minimizes the ghosting that occurs when light is reflected from a digital camera image sensor and in turn reflected off an ordinary flat protective glass element.
Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) provides fast autofocus with superior accuracy and ultra-quiet operation. All lenses feature nine-blade rounded diaphragms that ensure a more natural look for parts of a scene intended to be out of focus. The minimum focus distances are 2.9 m/9.5 ft, 4.0 m/13.1 ft and 5.0 m/16.4 ft for the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR respectively -- much shorter than their predecessors.
Ergonomically arranged switches and buttons enable easy access and comfortable operation even during handheld shooting. These buttons include the Focus Preset function, which instantly recalls a focal point preset with a simple push-button operation; Focus Limiter switch, which restricts AF-servo movement to a controlled shooting distance range; AF-L switch, which makes it possible to lock focus from the lens; and AF-ON, which engages autofocus from the lens. The new A/M focus mode allows instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF-servo operation. It also offers a major improvement over conventional M/A modes by significantly reducing the possibility of unintentional switching from Auto to Manual. By employing magnesium die-cast in the lens body construction, the new lenses achieved considerable weight savings without sacrificing rugged field-proven construction resistant to both dust and water.
- VR II operation realizes the equivalent of a shutter speed four stops faster
- New Tripod mode reduces vibration that may occur at shutter release when shooting with a super-telephoto lens attached to a tripod
- Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
- Three ED (Extra-low dispersion) elements control chromatic aberration while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest apertures
- Exclusive Nikon Nano Crystal Coat and a Meniscus protective glass element combine to further reduce ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating realizes superior color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
- Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables fast autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation
- Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- Newly added A/M mode reduces the possibility of unintentional switching from Auto to Manual
- Focus Preset function instantly recalls preset focus points with the push of a button
- Engineered to Nikon professional D-SLR standards to effectively resist dust and moisture
- Magnesium die-cast for a lightweight body with rugged construction
- Supplied lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
- Detachable monopod collar provided
Nikon 500mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor User Reviews
10 out of 10 points and recommended by johnmh (8 reviews)great lens all aroundnot cheap, limited availability
If you need a long lens this will not disappoint.reviewed April 16th, 2009 (purchased for $7,800)
This is a great lens with nothing to complain about. Great IQ - even with a 1.4 or 1.7 TC
Unfortunately the price is high and has gotten higher, and it is not easy to find in stock if you are looking to buy.
If you have a long lens you're already happy with, do NOT try this one. It will change your level of expectations.