Sony E 20mm f/2.8 SEL20F28
Your purchases support this site
Buy the Sony E 20mm f/2.8 SEL20F28
- Amazon for $323.00
- Adorama for $323.00
- B&H Photo for $323.00 Buy here to enter drawing this month for $500 Gift Card
(From Sony lens literature) When mounted on any Sony α E-Mount camera, the sharp new SEL20F28 ”pancake” lens creates an exceptionally versatile, portable package ideal for a broad range of everyday shooting opportunities ranging from interiors to landscapes, street photography, casual snapshots and more.
The new lens features an ultra-slim design approximately 20mm from lens front to back, and with its wide angle of view (30mm on 35mm equivalent) and bright F2.8 aperture, it produces excellent contrast, resolution and clarity across the frame for both still image and Full HD video shooting.
Sony E 20mm f/2.8 SEL20F28 User Reviews
8 out of 10 points and recommended by Elgsdyr (1 reviews)Portability/compactness, good sharpness, decent bokeh,Nothing really except, perhaps, that it isn't spectacular in any area (other than compactness)
- Sharpness is very good in the center (most of the frame actually) wide open, while slightly soft in the extreme corners (only). Stopped down the center becomes great while the extreme corners get quite decent. If you want perfect corner-to-corner sharpness you should look elsewhere, though. I've used this lens for photographing paintings and while it's "good enough", I can't quite get pin-sharp corners.reviewed July 18th, 2015 (purchased for $217)
- Distortion is well controlled for a pancake and nothing to worry about unless you have straight lines in you photos. Without testing it extensively I'd say it's about 2%.
- Vignetting is visibly there but nothing bad. Mostly I don't correct it in PP.
- Bokeh was a positive surprise. I had expected it to be terrible in a pancake but it does have quite pleasant smoothness, while the 50mm (which I also own) is obviously better.
- Chromatic aberration is there but easily corrected in PP.
- Build is fine. Feels solid and like it's mostly made of very light metal (I could be wrong).
- Portability is simply awesome. With this I can carry camera+lens in a pocket meaning I can never use size as a excuse for not bringing a camera. The perfect all round, portable combo, and the focal length is great for all round use IMHO.
Its only achillesheel if any is, that while it does everything well, it's not spectacular in any area (except its compactness).
8 out of 10 points and recommended by jamesdike (9 reviews)sharp even in cornerschromatic aberration
Sharpness on picture's borders and on corners much better than its Sigma's sister. Sony's lens doesn't beat Sigma in the center.reviewed June 23rd, 2015 (purchased for $349)
Generally this Sony lens provides at least not bad optical quality, especially in terms of sharpness, contrast and coloration. The optical quality is not perfect but really more than average. The weak points are pincushion distortions and a visible level of chromatic aberration.
I must add that the lens design is gorgeous in my opinion.