Winners revealed in 2013 Sony World Photography Awards
posted Monday, March 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM EDT
The World Photography Organization just revealed the winners for the Open, Youth and 3D categories of the 2013 Sony World Photography Awards and it's a diverse group of photographers with some very impressive images. (Last month we gave you a sample of some of the photos that made the shortlist for the finals of the competition.)
Below is a rundown of the winners in each of the three categories and below that we've posted a selection of the winning images. The professional category winners and the coveted "L’Iris D’Or/ Sony World Photography Awards Professional Photographer of the Year" title are slated to be announced at a ceremony in London on April 25th. The L’Iris D’Or winner will receive USD$25,000 as a grand prize.
Open category winners
• Architecture - Martina Biccheri, Italy
• Arts and Culture - Gilbert Yu, Hong Kong
• Enhanced - Hoang Hiep Nguyen, Vietnam
• Low Light - Elmar Akhmetov, Kazakhstan
• Nature & Wildlife - Krasimir Matarov, Bulgaria
• Panoramic - Yeow Kwang Yeo, Singapore
• People - Hisatomi Tadahiko, Japan
• Smile – Ming Hui Guan, China
• Split Second - Matías Gálvez, Chile
• Travel - Manny Fajutag, Philippines
The ten Open category winners go on to compete for the "Sony World Photography Awards Open Photographer of the Year" title. The overall winner will be announced at the April 25th ceremony in London and will received USD$5,000.
Youth Competition winners
• Culture - Alecsandra Dragoi, Romania
• Environment - Xu Wei Shou, Taiwan
• Portraits- Berta Vicente, Spain
One "Overall Youth Photographer of the Year" will be chosen and will be announced at the ceremony on April 25th.
This category is won by Slovenian photographer Matjaž Tančič.
Read more about the competition and see more winning shots here.
Open Category Winners
Youth Competition Winners
3D Category Winner