Review posted for Optipix 2!|
Mike Pasini, The Imaging Resource
(Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:48 EDT)
Reindeer Graphics brings Layer Modes to 16-bit images, adds a 16-bit Detail Sharpener and updates its Auto Contrast plug-ins with Optipix 2. And a special Dave's Deal can save you even more than the introductory discount offer.
Newsletter editor Mike Pasini reviews -- and illustrates -- the new 16-bit world of Optipix 2 from Reindeer Graphics.
- The Blend plug-in that can turn your 8-bit images into a 16-bit picture now has some new companions.
- Layer Modes emulates all the Photoshop 7 layer transfer modes and adds six new layer transfer modes in a 16-bit compatible plug-in.
- Detail Sharpener enhances texture and grain without over-sharpening edges. It's also useful for dynamic range compression.
- Auto Contrast now sports a wide histogram for 16-bit images, exposure value compensation labeled according to the Zone system and user adjustable tail-clipping.
- Safe Median, which first appeared in Optipix 1.1, removes grain without rounding corners like typical medians.
- Power Median, which also first appeared in Optipix 1.1, removes power lines and scratches.
You can now store and recall a selection to and from the second image buffer and retrieve whatever you've stored there, too.
These join not only Blend but Image Averaging, Edge Enhancement and Safe Sharpen from prior releases.
The review also explains how to take advantage of a Dave's Deal for added savings on the upgrade.