Fuji FinePix S7000Fuji's latest electronic SLR offers a larger, 6.3-megapixel CCD that interpolates to 12.3 megapixels - one of the highest resolution consumer models we've tested to date!
(Next): Executive Overview>>
Page 1:Intro and HighlightsReview First Posted: 01/16/2004
| ||6.3-megapixel Super CCD HR produces 4,048 x 3,040-pixel images. (Interpolated to 12.3 megapixels.)|
| ||6x Fujinon optical zoom lens equivalent to 35-210mm lens on a 35mm camera.|
| ||Powerful flash effective to 27.9 feet (8.5 meters).|
| ||Accepts xD-Picture Cards, IBM Microdrive|
| ||Super high-resolution electronic optical viewfinder, with 235,000 pixels.|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click here for a print-optimized page.
Manufacturer Overview Learn how to really use full-functioned cameras like this one - Visit our free Photo Lessons area!
Free Photo Lessons
Learn how to really use full-functioned cameras like this one - Visit our free Photo Lessons area!
After a bit of a gap following the sellout of the 6900, Fuji's came back with a new offering for the enthusiast crowd, the FinePix S602 Zoom. The S602 Zoom built upon many of the popular features of the 6900 (like the 6x optical zoom lens), but offered improved color fidelity and reduced image noise as well as enhanced shooting speed. The camera added support for both SmartMedia and CompactFlash memory cards (including IBM Microdrives), and offered significantly improved white balance when dealing with the incandescent lighting so common in the US. The S602 also sported some genuinely unusual features, including an amazing 640 x 480, 30 frames/second motion capture mode, special high-ISO modes (to ISO 1600) that cleverly traded resolution for lower image noise, and a couple of exceptionally handy motor-drive modes.
Because of the S602 Zoom's high popularity among the enthusiast ranks, Fuji upped the ante and released the FinePix S7000. Offering many of the same great capabilities of the S602 model, the S7000 now boasts the highest resolution of a consumer level digicam that we've seen to date with its 6.3 megapixel Super CCD HR that interpolates to 12.3 megapixels. The camera also features an extensive flash range, and a higher resolution electronic optical viewfinder. With the same great exposure features, autofocus options, and performance as the S602, the S7000 is sure to be a hit.
- 6.3-megapixel Super CCD HR, interpolates to produce images as large as 4,048 x 3,040 pixels.
- 0.44-inch electronic optical viewfinder with dioptric adjustment, plus 1.8-inch color LCD monitor.
- 6x Super-EBC Fujinon 35-210mm zoom lens, with f/2.8-3.1 maximum aperture.
- Macro shooting includes normal macro and "Super-Macro" option that focuses down to one centimeter.
- Adjustable ISO setting with 160, 200, 400, and 800 equivalents.
- Up to 3.2x digital telephoto.
- Auto and manual focus options, with adjustable AF area.
- Shutter speeds from 1/10,000 to 15 seconds, with a Bulb setting.
- Built-in, pop-up flash with six operating modes.
- External flash hot shoe.
- Shutter button features a mechanical cable release socket for decreased vibration on long exposures.
- Nine user-selectable white balance settings, including a manual adjustment.
- Movie with sound and Voice recording modes.
- Super CCD-based "Pixel-Mixing Technology" allows 30 frame/second movie recording at full VGA (640x480 resolution)!
- Program AE, Auto, Scene Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Three Continuous Shooting modes, plus Auto Exposure Bracketing and a Multi-Exposure mode.
- Two image quality recording modes in JPEG format, and an uncompressed RAW option.
- Dual media slots support xD-Picture Cards (16MB card included) or CompactFlash Type II, including IBM Microdrive memory cards.
- Video cable included.
- Power via four AA-type batteries or optional AC adapter (four AA alkaline batteries included).
- USB cable and interface software for connecting to a computer.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) Compatibility.
Reader Comments! --> Visit our discussion forum for the Fuji FinePix S7000!