Nikon 400mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor
(From Nikon lens literature) Nikon has announced three new AF-S super-telephoto NIKKOR lenses -- the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR, and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR -- to further strengthen its super-telephoto lens line-up. With unprecedented image quality, responsiveness and versatility, these new NIKKOR lenses are certain to set a new benchmark for super-telephoto lenses.
The new super-telephoto lenses are equipped with a Vibration Reduction (VR) function. Nikon's VR II system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, offering a shutter speed up to the equivalent of four stops faster. The newly added Tripod mode reduces vibration that may occur when shooting with a super-telephoto lens when attached to a tripod at shutter release time. Nikon's VR function also gives photographers the option of a natural viewfinder image even during VR operation.
The superior functioning of the newly developed optical system ensures flawless synchronization with Nikon's digital SLRs. The new optical design features three Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements that minimize chromatic aberration while producing consistently high-quality images. The Nano Crystal Coat -- extra-low refractive index coatingc --- virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths and is particularly effective in reducing ghosting and flare. A meniscus protective glass element also minimizes the ghosting that occurs when light is reflected from a digital camera image sensor and in turn reflected off an ordinary flat protective glass element.
Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) provides fast autofocus with superior accuracy and ultra-quiet operation. All lenses feature nine-blade rounded diaphragms that ensure a more natural look for parts of a scene intended to be out of focus. The minimum focus distances are 2.9 m/9.5 ft, 4.0 m/13.1 ft and 5.0 m/16.4 ft for the AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR respectively -- much shorter than their predecessors.
Ergonomically arranged switches and buttons enable easy access and comfortable operation even during handheld shooting. These buttons include the Focus Preset function, which instantly recalls a focal point preset with a simple push-button operation; Focus Limiter switch, which restricts AF-servo movement to a controlled shooting distance range; AF-L switch, which makes it possible to lock focus from the lens; and AF-ON, which engages autofocus from the lens. The new A/M focus mode allows instant switching from autofocus to manual focus, even during AF-servo operation. It also offers a major improvement over conventional M/A modes by significantly reducing the possibility of unintentional switching from Auto to Manual. By employing magnesium die-cast in the lens body construction, the new lenses achieved considerable weight savings without sacrificing rugged field-proven construction resistant to both dust and water.
- VR II operation realizes the equivalent of a shutter speed four stops faster
- New Tripod mode reduces vibration that may occur at shutter release when shooting with a super-telephoto lens attached to a tripod
- Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
- Three ED (Extra-low dispersion) elements control chromatic aberration while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest apertures
- Exclusive Nikon Nano Crystal Coat and a Meniscus protective glass element combine to further reduce ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating realizes superior color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
- Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables fast autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation
- Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- Newly added A/M mode reduces the possibility of unintentional switching from Auto to Manual
- Focus Preset function instantly recalls preset focus points with the push of a button
- Engineered to Nikon professional D-SLR standards to effectively resist dust and moisture
- Magnesium die-cast for a lightweight body with rugged construction
- Supplied lens hood effectively minimizes stray light
- Detachable monopod collar provided
Nikon 400mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor
Nikon 400mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor User Reviews
10 out of 10 points and recommended by winkyphoto (5 reviews)Sharp as a pin. Much better than 12Mp DX format in my D300. Fast. Battleship build.None. Big, though. Heavy, but look what you're getting.
Blown away by this. The image quality is ridiculously good. It resolves to a pixel on my D300. AF is perfect (but that is also camera-related) and ludicrous-speed fast. NO CA evident anywhere. Close to perfect. Fast. f2.8 gives great options with DOF. Muscle-men can hand-hold until they fatigue, but it is just fabulous with a monopod or even better with tripod and unlocked ball-head. VR is legend.reviewed October 3rd, 2008 (purchased for $8,500)
What this puppy will let you do with a (future) D4 is beyond imagining.