Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S Nikkor
(From Nikon lens literature) Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the release of three new lenses designed for the next-generation Nikon Z mount system's full-frame (Nikon FX format) mirrorless cameras, for which a new larger-diameter mount has been adopted. The three new lenses are the standard zoom NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S, the wide-angle prime NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S, and the standard prime NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S. Nikon has also announced the Mount Adapter FTZ for Z System compatibility with existing NIKKOR F mount lenses and development of the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lens.
NIKKOR Z lenses pursue a new dimension in optical performance, by taking advantage of the superior design flexibility made possible by the combination of the larger Z mount with its inner diameter of 55mm, and a short flange focal distance of 16mm. The lenses offer sharp resolution with both still-image and video recording, and are equipped with functions that include: compensation for focus breathing (the shifting of the angle of view when focus is adjusted), quiet operation, smooth exposure control, a control ring and performance that is well suited for video capture.
The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S, NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S, and NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S are S-Line interchangeable lenses. The S-Line is a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adhere to a new benchmark in optical performance, realizing rendering performance that surpasses that of conventional f/4 standard zoom lenses and f/1.8 wide-angle or standard prime lenses. From maximum aperture, clear and sharp resolution can be achieved as well as beautiful bokeh characteristics.
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S Primary Features
- Superior rendering ignites creativity, and redefines perceptions of what a 50mm f/1.8 lens can do
- Thorough suppression of axial chromatic aberration ensures superior resolution with faithful reproduction of the fine textures in subjects, even from maximum aperture
- Sharp and clear rendering of details from the center of the frame to the peripheral edges, regardless of the shooting distance
- The soft and beautiful bokeh characteristics at any shooting distance possible only with a fast (bright) lens
- Adoption of two ED glass, and two aspherical lens elements
- Nano Crystal Coat adopted to suppress ghosting and flare
- Adoption of a new, powerful stepping motor (STM) enables quiet and accurate AF control during both still-image capture and video recording
- In consideration to a dust- and drip-resistance, the entire lens, including moving parts, has been sealed
Price and Availability
The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S lens will be available in late October for the SRP of $599.95*
*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S Nikkor
Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S Nikkor User Reviews
9 out of 10 points and recommended by Webneep2 (1 reviews)Smallish Very SharpPricey
Sometimes it is good to shoot with a prime, to reduce depth of field more than you can with a zoom. Mainly used it for landscapes and city scapes so far, and been impressed with the results. I sold my 1.4 screw drive Nikkor F mount a long time ago and bought a Sigma Art 50mm instead, but that is big and with the adapter for the Z even bigger. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 S is only half a stop slower but considerably smaller and lighter and optically superior, although I have no complaints about the Sigma. I would highly recommend the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8.reviewed December 20th, 2021 (purchased for $450)