Olympus issues service advisory for E-M10 II owners - offers free repair for affected serial numbers
posted Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM EST
A small range of manufactured Olympus E-M10 II bodies have been found to have a malfunction regarding certain plastic mount lenses, where the lens lock pin within the E-M10 II mount doesn't properly function in securing the lens to the camera body. Olympus has offered a free repair inspection and repair program to any users in North America with serial numbers within the affected range.
Below is a chart showing potentially affected units:
You can check the bottom of your camera to see if yours is within the affected range. Note that the issue appparently only affects the following five M.Zuiko lenses:
- 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 L
- 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II
- 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R
- 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6
- 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 R
Olympus reports there is no potential risk other than the possibility of damaging one of the lenses in the above list, so if you don't intend to use one of those lenses you're probably safe regardless of your serial number. (Note that Olympus states that plastic mount lenses from other manufacturers could also malfunction in an affected body.)
For anyone interested in submitting their E-M10 II for free inspection and repair, below are instructions for both submitting your unit and being re-imbursed for the shipping costs:
How to Submit your Camera for Repair – US and Caribbean OM-D E-M10 Mark II Owners
1. Visit olympusamerica.com/repair
2. Choose ‘SUBMIT YOUR USA REPAIR NOW’
3. Select ‘Mirrorless ILC Cameras’ from the ‘category’ drop-down menu
4. Select ‘E-M10 Mark II’ from the ‘select model’ drop-down menu
5. When the quote screen appears, scroll down towards the bottom of the form to ‘Is this a warranty repair?’ Choose ‘yes’. This will change the quote/cost to ZERO.
6. Complete the Bill to/Ship to information, and insert the serial number in the appropriate field. Please do not ship the camera with additional accessories. For this repair, we do not need you to include your memory card, battery, etc. Just the camera body, itself. Olympus will not be responsible for the care, maintenance, or preservation of any memory card, accessories, or images contained in or accompanying the submission of a camera.
7. In the ‘Additional comments or concerns’ field, please insert the following term: “E-M10 Mark II lens lock pin repair”
8. Submit the order. Please retain your web order number. Once you submit your repair, you will receive a confirmation in .pdf form. Please print the .pdf so that you can enclose a copy with your product. The web order repair number can be used for product tracking and to obtain your product repair status.
How to Submit your Camera for Repair – Canadian E-M10 Mark II Owners
1. Visit olympuscanada.com/repair
2. Click on the repair submission form and print it.
3. In the field ‘Reason for sending in”, please write the following term: “E-M10 Mark II lens lock pin repair.”
4. On the form, where it says “Is this a warranty repair?” enter “Yes.” A copy of your bill of sale is not necessary for this repair.
5. Please do not ship the camera with additional accessories. For this repair, we do not need you to include your memory card, battery, etc. Just the camera body, itself. Olympus will not be responsible for the care, maintenance, or preservation of any memory card, accessories, or images contained in or accompanying the submission of a camera.
6. Please enclose a copy of this completed form with your repair.
7. Retain your serial number so you may track your repair.
Reimbursement for Shipping for US, Caribbean and Canada
1.Olympus will reimburse shipping costs only if:
a. the shipment is sent standard ground shipping (or international economy shipment for E-M10 Mark II owners located in the Caribbean); and
b. is shipped using a trackable method through such companies as UPS or Federal Express.
2. To obtain reimbursement for shipping, fax a copy of your shipping receipt, including your name, address, the total cost, and web order repair number to (484) 896-7165; or email it as an attachment to [email protected] (please put in subject line “E-M10 Mark II Shipping Reimbursement”).
3. A check for reimbursement of the shipping costs will be issued within 14 business days from receipt and verification of the requested information referenced above.
If you have additional questions you can contact Olympus Customer Care at 1-800-622-6372 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. Or you can click here for more information!
(An IR salute to Olympus for moving so quickly to inform owners and resolve the issue!)