Hasselblad Masters 2018 winners announced: Come see the amazing winning images
posted Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 12:00 PM EDT
Hasselblad has announced the winners of its 2018 Hasselblad Masters Awards. The latest edition of the contest set a record for entered images with 31,500 photographs being submitted for consideration. This represents a 175% increase over the 2016 edition of the contest.
The competition is one of the most prestigious in the industry and each winner, highlighted below, will receive the title "Hasselblad Master" and will be a brand ambassador for Hasselblad for two years in addition to receiving a new medium format camera. Further, each winner will work with Hasselblad on a collaborative project and be featured in an upcoming bi-annual Hasselblad Masters book. The winners will also be honored at Photokina this September in Cologne, Germany.
The contest had 11 categories in total: Aerial, Architecture, Art, Beauty and Fashion, Landscape, Portrait, Product, Project/21, Street and Urban, Wedding and Wildlife. Of the winners, Masters Jury member and professional photographer Tom Oldham said, "It really struck me how progressive many of the entries were this year and how far the entrants were willing to push the brief. These were the photographers who caught my eye - the ballsy, out-there risk-takers who make compelling pictures that refuse to be ignored. I'm proud to have helped to get this great kit into their hands - their images deserve it."
In total, the 11 winners represent 9 different nations. The winners were:
- Aerial - Jorge de la Torriente from Miami, USA
- Architecture - Kamilla Hanapova from St. Petersburg, Russia
- Art - Maria Svarbova from Bratislava, Slovakia
- Beauty and Fashion - Michal Baran from Trim, Ireland
- Landscape - Benjamin Everett from Lopez Island, USA
- Portrait - Tina Signesdottir Hult from Torvastad, Norway
- Product - Marcin Gizycki from Warszawa, Poland
- Project//21 - Nabil Rosman from Kota Bharu, Malaysia
- Street and Urban - Ben Thomas from Kyneton, Australia
- Wedding - Victor Hamke from Leipzig, Germany
- Wildlife - Karim Iliya from Haiku, USA
To see the winning images, check out the video below.
For more information on the Hasselblad Masters competition, including the list of the full jury, click here.